Questions about Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by poppe, Apr 15, 2007.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hello,

I'm new to Safari and I have a few questions.

1. How come this webpage's pictures http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/top-10-most-pointless-usb-drives doesn't load up.

2. Safari at time will stop working. How come. As I am going to a new website it might stall loading and never finish off. why is this?

I'm sure I'll have more soon.

EDIT: Ok now the link displayed the pictures. How come I run into these problems all the time with Safari?

I actually run into the same problem with pictures in the Mail App as well. I get emails from people all the time and have to actually go use the my accounts on the internet instead of in mail to see the pictures. Why is this?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Safari occasionally plays up for me, which is why I reset it about once a month when this starts happening. I also restart my machine to clear out the virtual memory every fortnight or so, but otherwise I find Safari is fine. I quit it overnight because I find it starts playing up sooner if I leave it open for days at a time. I got the images loading on your linked site in the first go, so I'm not sure what was happening there for you. Since you're having a few problems with Safari and Mail, do you have any theme changers installed? What sort of plugins do you have running in Safari?

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

try clear caches and cookies when browsers behave strangely

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Excellent advice. For what it's worth, resetting Safari does both of these, plus a bit more. :cool:

5. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I have no themese what soever on either Mail or Safari. I have something on Mail installed so that it will talk better to things sent to me through outlook, but still Most always pictures do not work... I just git the minuature blue square with a white questionmark in the middle.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I get that sometimes, but the images always show up below the question marks eventually. Is this the same for you?

7. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Nope they don't. Usually I have to wait awhile. Get up and walk away from the computer or look at other things online. Then eventually it comes.

In the Mail App it is never solved....

Another thing I'm a little sad about is that in Firefox by hitting Apple + Enter Firefox would put http://www.________.com for me, which would make webpages come up a lot faster than just typing _____.com in safari or _____ and hitting enter.

Also, is there any way so that when I click on a link in safari it will always go in a new tab instead of opening a new window? I know I can right-click but I'd like to just be able to click it and it does it.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

I don't understand. If you type ____ and hit Enter in Safari, it automatically adds "http://www.____.com" to it. How is this any HARDER than the illogical Firefox way?

And check out Saft for the latter question (pimpmysafari.com). It has an option to do that, it's my favorite. I hate it when links open new windows, I love Saft forcing them to open in new tabs instead.

9. Adion macrumors newbie

Wow, I never knew. Pretty nifty.

10. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I don't know what you all are doing but when I type anything in the web address menu http:// and .com do not come up until it has already found the website and what not.

It takes about a second longer than it does when using firefox and apple + enter.

Do you have to pay for Saft?

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

12. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh I guess I'm going back to Firefox then

13. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Sorry for dp

Now safari won't get off my dock... really pissing me off...

EDIT: Never mind I got it...

14. JBrad macrumors newbie

Poppe, don't know what's wrong with your Mac but my iMac G5 loads that page completely in about three seconds. I'm using the most recent Safari along with most recent OS X. Did you try the most recent Flash update? I notice everything seems snappier now with the Flash update. Interersting site by the way. JBrad.

15. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Yeah everything is updated. I am back in Firefox now. While Firefox doesn't start as quickly as Safari when it is closed and sometimes Safari beats it in load times, the features safari has I can't live with out...