Questions about selling a used, unlocked 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MK25toLife, Jun 8, 2010.

1. MK25toLife macrumors regular

Would appreciate it if you could help me answer the following questions.

• What is the market for a used unlocked 3GS in mint condition (have a case and screen cover on it)?
    • Why would someone be willing to buy a used unlocked 3GS?
    • Why wouldn't someone just buy a new iPhone 4.0 and unlock it instead of buying a used unlocked 3GS (assuming they have the money)?
    • If I were to purchase a new no-contract 32GB iPhone 4.0, would using it be as simple as inserting the SIM card from my old 3GS?

2. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

For people who can either use a go sim, international bidder, or switch from ATT to T-mobile

People just generally being impatient, not wanting to have to lock themselves in a contract, phasing out the 3GS models outside of the 8 GB version, or not knowing how to unlock themselves

The new ones use Micro-Sim cards so you would have to go to your carrier and get one

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Pricing advice belongs in the marketplace

New phone comes w/ new sim. Plug it into iTunes to activate.

4. gwfattwkr macrumors member

there will still be a great demand for Iphone 3gs, iphones are getting harder and harder to unlock, the iphone 4g while may be able to be unlocked there is the small problem it works on microsim which when it comes out will be the only phone working on a microsim.

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

First AT&T and Apple have to sell no contract iPhones. In the previous years it didn't happen for a few months after initial sales of the device started.

Generally people will be able to pickup a used 3G or 3GS for cheaper, some people care more about price than features. With the new ETF you will not have a lot of iPhone 4(s) on the market early on.

6. MK25toLife thread starter macrumors regular

So according to Gizmodo...

First: How Much Will It Cost?
    This will be the largest deciding factor for most people. Here's how it breaks down: $200 and $300 for 16GB and 32GB model, respectively. This is true only if you're a new customer, your contract is over, or—and this was unexpected—your contract is set to end at any time in 2010, meaning some can take the dive six months early, and effectively shorten their total commitment to AT&T by up to six months (as opposed to waiting half a year for their contracts to expire before upgrading.)

If you aren't a new customer, and you aren't eligible for the special upgrade plan, the phones will cost 400 and $500 as upgrades, which is pretty rough. Unsubsidized prices run $600 and $700, which, well, ha ha.

So basically, I can get this thing for very little if I can sell my 3GS? Can someone please confirm this?

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Check w/ AT&T on what your upgrade options are and see our upgrade guide.