questions about selling my iphone 3G, upgrading to 4.0, etc.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tbm248, Jun 22, 2010.

1. tbm248 macrumors member

Hey,

I have an iPhone 3G, and jailbroke it using blackra1n awhile back. I am on software 3.1.2 and don't know anything about baseband. I tried to make sure not to upgrade at a time when I read posts advising not to do so because it would then be irreversible and could no longer be unlocked? I didn't really understand it at the time so I went ahead with the jailbreak which people said was fine, but didn't do anything else since then.

With the new iPhone 4 coming out, I'd like to sell my current iPhone and use the money to upgrade to the new iPhone. Now, I'm not sure how to maximize the value of my phone. I think I've read people pay more for jailbroken + unlocked phones. If that is the case, what should I do? With the new OS, can I upgrade to the new OS through itunes, jailbreak, and unlock? Can I only upgrade to the new OS and jailbreak, but not unlock?

If anyone can walk me through this, it would be greatly helpful, especially because when I read other threads I don't seem to understand what's going on when basebands are mentioned...?

2. tbm248 thread starter macrumors member

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just update to official 4.0 thru itunes.
    Then use redsnow to JB it and then install ultrasnow thru cydia to have it unlocked.
    So you'd be on 4.0 JB and unlocked.

4. tbm248 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much for the reply!

I read the following in the "pwnagetool 4.0 is out!" thread: "If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode."

So I am a little confused. I am jailbroken with blackrain, so can I still follow your steps to jailbreak and eventually unlock? I have never used or went through the redsnow process, so I'm not sure.

Also, I've been trying to figure out the right way to prep my phone for being sold, and the best outlet to sell it. In terms of preparing the phone for selling, if I am able to jailbreak and unlock without screwing anything up, will this ensure that all my personal data is erased (I of course wouldn't want the person I sell my phone to have access to any of my data or information)? Once I sell the phone, I just take the sim card out of my phone and ship it off, right?

Sorry for the newb questions, but I've read your posts and quickly realized you know what you are talking about, so thought I'd ask for your help!

Thanks again.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. tbm248 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the links! I have windows.

Do I first update to 4.0 officially through itunes, and then follow the tutorial? Or do I just go straight to the tutorial starting with step 1, without updating to 4.0 and currently having 3.1.2?

I'll follow the directions and hopefully everything goes well!

By the way, if/when I sell my jailbroken/unlocked phone, if I want to make sure none of my personal data, info, or apps is on the phone or can be accessed, do I just do the following: Settings → General → Reset → Erase all Content and Settings

If I do that, will I still maintain my jailbreak/unlock?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You first update to 4.0 then follow the tutorial to JB.
    If you do the erase all content and settings everything will be gone along with the OS on the phone, JB and unlock.
    You will have to restore to 4.0 again, setup as new phone and DO NOT restore from your backup with your info.
    And then follow the tutorial again to JB and unlock.

8. circusbass macrumors regular

I am awaiting a iphone 4 tomorrow. Once I activate it would this be an accurate method of jailbreaking/unlocking my 3g for sale?

1. Erase all content and settings

2. Restore to 4.0

3. Setup as new phone.

4. JB with red snow

5. Unlock.

At this point there should be an activated phone with no content or data on it. Should i eject the sim card if I am planning to sell it? Would the activating of the iphone 4 render my sim card useless in the 3g?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You are correct on all the above.
    Once you activate your iphone 4 your old 3G simcard will deactivate.
    But sell it without a sim anyway. They wont need it.

10. tbm248 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, ok.

I'm going to still be using this phone for at least another month or so until I buy the new iPhone, so let me just make sure I am understanding correctly --

For now:

1. Update to 4.0 through itunes.
    2. Follow tutorial for jailbreak.

Don't need to unlock right now since I am not trying to sell it right now, so this should be what I need to do to have my iPhone updated to 4.0 jb, and I can use it for another month or so.

Then when I decide to sell it and want to make sure everything is wiped clean of my info/data/apps/etc.:

1. Go to itunes, click on restore and setup as new.
    2. Follow tutorial as I did before for jb. And this time also the additional steps for unlock.
    3. Take out the sim card. Package the phone up and send it away to the seller.

Is that right? I of course want to be safe while jailbreaking/unlocking, but above even that, want to make sure that whoever I sell it to doesn't have access to any of my past information on my phone or anything like that.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me!

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

12. circusbass macrumors regular

Thank you so much applejuiced. I am so appreciative of your help. I have been trying to figure this all out and after reading a lot of posts here I am happy to finally have understood it. I have never jailbroken/unlocked and I am completely new to it all. I needed it broken down into steps.

13. tbm248 thread starter macrumors member

Do you have to wait until your current contract is up to sell the 3G? Do you first have to upgrade to the iphone 4 before you can sell it? Just curious about the process of it.

My current two year contract for the 3G is up in September or October I think, but I also am pretty sure I am available for the upgrade to the new iphone, so just wondering how you go about upgrading to the new phone and selling your current phone, in terms of timing?

14. tbm248 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Hopefully it works out well!

I'll keep you guys posted with the results.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you can sell any phone at any time you want.
    The contract only ties you to AT&T's service and that you cant cancell your number/account with them without paying the ETF.
    You can buy a new iphone 4 and sell it 5 minutes after your walk out of the store.

16. tbm248 thread starter macrumors member

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

So whoever buys the phone, just puts in their sim card, and it'll be good to go for them, without the worry or hassle of 2 year contract.

Doesn't AT&T then wonder though, who is using that phone and how? I don't know if they can track it or not, but would they realize that although I am the under contract with the iphone 4, my previous phone is still being used but not contracted?

This obviously doesn't effect me as I'm just looking to sell it, and I don't know if what I asked made sense, but just curious!

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It doesnt matter to AT&T if you sell the under contract phone you bought with your subsidy to anyone. They dont care or wonder who is using what phone and where and how.