Questions about selling my MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheShinyMac, Jun 5, 2009.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Hey thanks for checking in,
    I am thinking of selling my macbook pro for the new uni-body ones. I have apple care on it and I am wondering how I can or the new owner can transfer the coverage into his or her name. Also what do you think I could get for the machine. Its specs are 15.4 Screen 250 GIG stock apple HDD 2 gigs of RAM and Its in perfect shape not a dent or scratch on it. I also have one of those Zag Invisible Shields on the machine. Thanks for your reply!

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

AppleCare follows the machine, not the customer. There's nothing to transfer.

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

jnc is right, but if the new buyer insists on registering the AppleCare under their name, this is what you must do:

Pricing discussions aren't allowed outside of the Marketplace forum, so I can't help you there...

4. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

If you sell it try to compensate for the Apple Care. The protection plan is $350. Let's say your MacBook Pro is 6 months old. I'd say add about $280 to whatever price you will sell it for. If it's in great shape, you could easily get at least $1300 for it. I had the exact one with the care plan and all. I sold for $1300. It depends on the buyer. I could have gotten maybe $1400. With that you can buy a 2.4 MacBook or ante up and go Pro once again. The stock 2.4 MB is nearly identical to the stock 2.4 MBP besides 2.1", FireWire 800, and another graphics card. But if you need it, go for it.

Hope this helps.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

mac2sell.net is a good place to get an idea what used macs are worth. You could use that as a baseline price and mention in your ad that it comes with applecare and any additional software or accessories that you're willing to throw in. If it has a matte screen, I'd sure mention that as well. ;)

Or, you could just say frak it, and use your current machine until it no longer serves your purposes. Everyone's freaking out about the 8600 video cards, but you are covered under applecare. If the card fries, apple either gives you a new logic board or possibly a new machine.

If you sell your pro now and buy a new one, chances are you're going to want a new one anyway when intel's mobile quad chips come out next year, so why not wait until then?

6. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

that's a really good website, how good it is in prediction? thanks

7. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I've seen it mentioned in a few places that mac2sell tends to underestimate to a small degree. Not by a significant amount, but enough that it's worth bumping the price.

It's a guideline only. The real factors to consider (other than the computer) are demand in your area, as well as your and the buyer's knowledge of the system being sold.