Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I am new to Mac and have a few questions about sleep mode.

1. When the MBP goes to sleep, do applications continue to run? Lets say I am importing photos into iPhoto, will that continue while in sleep or will it pause or something?

2. Will Time Machine continue to do backups in Sleep?

3. How much less juice will the system require when in sleep. I know this will vary and I am not looking for a specific number, but just a ballpark idea. If I am fully charged and put it to sleep will I get 5 hours or 5 days?

Hmm I had another question, but it seemed to slip my mind. I am sure I will it will come to me shortly though.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
1. When the MMP goes to sleep, do applications continue to run? Lets say I am importing photos into iPhoto, will that continue while in sleep or will it pause or something?
No: it's asleep. The CPU is powered down, disks powered off, network cards powered off, RAM potentially suspended to disk (not always)... Basically there is no activity at all.
2. Will Time Machine continue to do backups in Sleep?
No: nothing runs. At all
3. How much less juice will the system require when in sleep. I know this will vary and I am not looking for a specific number, but just a ballpark idea. If I am fully charged and put it to sleep will I get 5 hours or 5 days?
Not much. I'd expect a full charge to sleep for quite a few days, if not a week, before hitting zero (at which point it should suspend to disk with the last tiny bit of power so when you plug it in it is where you left it, but will take a little longer to wake up)...

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks robbieduncan. So is there a point in even turning the computer off or should I just mainly use sleep?

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
Not much. I'd expect a full charge to sleep for quite a few days, if not a week, before hitting zero (at which point it should suspend to disk with the last tiny bit of power so when you plug it in it is where you left it, but will take a little longer to wake up)...

Wait. I think i missed something. Did you just say that when i put it to sleep the battery should last for a few days?:confused:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Wait. I think i missed something. Did you just say that when i put it to sleep the battery should last for a few days?:confused:

At least I'd have thought. Mine certainly do. Why how long does yours last in sleep, starting with a full charge to the point it won't wake back up?

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I haven't counted but about 5-6 hours... Maybe less...
How much time do you get when it is not sleeping, but running on battery? I thought they would run about 4 hours on a fully charged battery. Are you sure yours is sleeping?

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I haven't counted but about 5-6 hours... Maybe less...

...yeah, thats not good lol. i let my macbook sleep over night last night and it took off about 6% from a full charge...i woke up and it was at 94%...and thats with 9 hours of sleep...

so youre battery either has something wrong with it, or your computer isnt going to sleep properly

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
...yeah, thats not good lol. i let my macbook sleep over night last night and it took off about 6% from a full charge...i woke up and it was at 94%...and thats with 9 hours of sleep...

so youre battery either has something wrong with it, or your computer isnt going to sleep properly

Damn.... I'll let it sleep for tonight to see what will happen. I could be wrong about the hours i've said.

Can i post something here that could tell whether my battery is wrong or the problem i'n having with sleep mode?

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
Ok so here's a picture of my energy prefs. Maybe this has something to do with it?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 37

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Ok so here's a picture of my energy prefs. Maybe this has something to do with it?

that shouldnt have anything to do with it, since when you close the lid on the macbook, it automatically goes to sleep mode...those settings are only for when you have the lid open...

have you downloaded coconut battery? or istat pro? those two things can help monitor your battery's health...and might provide some information...

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
that shouldnt have anything to do with it, since when you close the lid on the macbook, it automatically goes to sleep mode...those settings are only for when you have the lid open...

Can anyone please tell me some good news?????:(

Anyway...... I'll tell you in the morning how it'll go... Although i think it won't last for many hours.... I wish it would...

PS:yeah i know, not very optimistic right now...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Try manualy putting your MacBook to sleep. My MBP doesn't sleep automatially when I close the lid as the sleep sensor is broken...

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
what kind of macbook do you have? and what kind of battery life are you seeing from just using it on a normal basis?

I have one of those early 08, 17'',2,6Ghz,4GB. Normally when i have no apps open my battery says 5 hours and 15 or so minutes. When i open Safari and Mail (maybe Adium too) it drops down to 3,5-4 hours.

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
Try manualy putting your MacBook to sleep. My MBP doesn't sleep automatially when I close the lid as the sleep sensor is broken...

I always put it to sleep manually so i guess my sleep sensor isn't broken. That's something good... I guess...

TXBDan

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
Boston, MA
How can you make it not sleep?

Well wait, how do people use a MBP with the lid closed while hooked up to an external monitor, etc?

I'd like to close the lid, but still have it playing itunes. I'd control it with the iPhone Remote.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
How can you make it not sleep?

Well wait, how do people use a MBP with the lid closed while hooked up to an external monitor, etc?

I'd like to close the lid, but still have it playing itunes. I'd control it with the iPhone Remote.

In my case it's a hardware fault. There is no way to turn off sleep when you close the lid. You can rewake the machine when the lid is closed by using USB peripherals, or with the correct setting Bluetooth ones

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I guess you don't have anything to suggest but to see what will happen tomorrow right?

Watch it for as long as possible to see if of wakes back up. If it does with your settings it won't go back to sleep. I've seen machine spontaniously wake up quite a few times...

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
Good news people!!!! I let it sleep for 7.5 hours and when i opened it it had consumed only 5%. This means 95%battery! Then closed it again (without charging it) for about 5 more hours and it had dropped to 85%. I think this in normal right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.