Questions about some mac stuff (fan control app; n64 emulator)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Joedirt9988, May 5, 2010.

1. Joedirt9988 macrumors newbie

New to macs, well fairly new iv used them a lot in the past for school but going to college next year and heard that getting a mac is the way to go for school. So got the new 15in i5. Had it for about a month and loving it so far.

My question is I installed a fan control app that allows you to control the fan speed. It installed everything and made a icon in system preferences. What do I do to get rid of it and completely return control of the fan to the computer. The website said to delete a few files which I did and then to a SMC reset, but I can't pull the battery. What do I do?

All help will be appreciated, Thank you

Link to the Program
    http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/index.html

Second question I had but forgot to ask is theres another program a n64 emulator that i downloaded, sixtyforce 0.8.0 and i tried to delete it and it went to trash but it will not delete form the trash. I keep getting messages saying "The operation can’t be completed because the item “sixtyforce” is in use." How do i get rid of that as well?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

To get rid of sixtyforce, log out and then back in after you've trashed the files. Then delete :D

To delete the fan controller, all you should have to do is delete it from ~/Library/PreferencePanes, then check in ~/Users/*Your User*/Library/PreferencePanes as well.

To delete the remaining files to any application, check in ~/Users/*Your User*/Library/Preferences for any plists that may be related to an application you once had installed but deleted. For instance, sixtyforce may leave a plist file named "com.goossen.sixtyforce", but I have no idea what it's actually called. You can clearly see it's related to the N64 emulator, though :p

There are some cases where a plist may be created, as well, in ~/Library/Preferences, so it's good to check now and then.

I recommend AppZapper from now on. It's a free app. Whether or not you install an application, say you just ran the application from the disk image, you can drag an Application's icon into AppZapper and it will locate the plist and other files associated with it.

3. Joedirt9988 thread starter macrumors newbie

ugh... its doing it for fancontrol as well i deleted the prefrences one or what ever folder it was in and it says its in use and cannot be deleted...

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Did you log out and then back in? Or restart your computer?

5. Joedirt9988 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the fan program removed thank you for that one but sixtyforce is still refusing to quit.

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You have restarted and didn't start or mount Sixtyforce?

7. Joedirt9988 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i restarted numerous times and tried the log out and its still running even when its in the trash. also if i move it out and try to run it it give me a message saying corrupt so something got deleted.

You can't open the application sixtyforce 0.8.0 because it may be damaged or incomplete.

8. Joedirt9988 thread starter macrumors newbie

i just treid appzapper and it sent it to the trash... and will not delete.

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Check your Activity Monitor for anything that is running and may be linked to sixtyforce.

If there is nothing running, then drag the files associated with SixtyForce out of the trash and into a new folder on your Desktop. Then go to Terminal and type: "cd Desktop" and then "sudo rm -rf nameoffolder" The folder is immediately removed from the hard drive.

10. Joedirt9988 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok it worked thank you