Questions about specific parts for MBP (CPU, HD, etc)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CrossFireXT17, Jun 3, 2008.

1. CrossFireXT17 macrumors member

Hey everyone, well I must say I am buying my first ever mac this summer! And I'm very excited!

Now I've been in the PC world for a while, and have built my own computer before as well, but I just have some questions about specific parts for the Macbook Pro and what are the Pros/Cons for each part

I'm going into college this year (not for anything that requires a crazy computer, but I do do a lot of like graphic editing and playing video games on my free time). I also want to be able to dual boot windows/linux easily.

So my question then comes down to these...

for the processor, is it worth getting the extra ".1" processor speed? I know its more of a ".2" since its a dual core CPU. But I wasn't sure how much you will see user end (for the extra $225 cost).

for the HardDrive, is it worth adding any more space on? I know more space the better for me! So I'd either get the default 250GB or upgrade to the 300GB. Would getting the 300GB be that noticeable speed wise, and what about sound? Is the 300GB much louder then the other?

I believe that is all my questions! So thanks for everyone's opinions! :)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it's not worth the extra $225 for the 100MHz of speed; yes I have it; and it isn't worth it.

As with the HDD the 300GB should be quieter since it's 4200RPM drive making it also slower performance wise; the 250GB would the wise choice in a compromise between performance and space. And I think you would notice the slower 300GB drive.