Questions about starting an Internet Radio Station.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by drumguy1975, Jun 21, 2017.

1. drumguy1975 macrumors member

I have long been a listener of internet radio, and was thinking about starting my own internet streaming radio station. This would be more of a streaming station, rather than one with live content, etc. In doing research, I do see that I have to have the proper ASCAP, etc licenses and that's where my question comes in.

I know that I can join a service like Live365 ($59+ per month) or Radionomy (free?) where they will take care of the licensing issues. I also have seen that I can pay anywhere from $60/month on up on StreamLicensing.com to $500 at least on SoundExchange.com.

Having never done this before, I am curious if this is pretty standard for licensing fees? I know that a couple of years ago things changed with the laws regarding internet radio but I was really hoping for something cheaper.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

3. smcelyea macrumors newbie

Yea, I miss the HAMMOND (organ) station I used to regularly listen on Live365.

4. drumguy1975 thread starter macrumors member

I don't know if there is a hidden meaning in this, as I know that last year, they went under, but right now, I believe they are back. At least, that's what their site says.