Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jake921660

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Australia
What program does it sync with?

If I have a note and i add something to it on the comp, then add something else on the iPhone, will it include both or just the computer copy?

iPhAddict

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2009
sorry to say that iPhone note cannot be accessed through your desktop pc. But you can Workaround to Sync Notes.

I know you are one of those folks who is disappointed that you cannot sync the notes on your iPhone to your PC thanks to the current limitation of the iPhone's Notes application then there is a crude workaround. You would know that each contact has a notes field. So all you need to do is create a fake contact and paste any info you like in the notes field for that contact in Address Book that way after a sync you will have all that information on your PC.

Hope this helps.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
are you referring to the new notes sync ability of iPhone 3.0? If so, I don't know the answer to your question, but I can't seem to figure out where the notes are synced to on my Mac. Does anyone know? I've looked in Mail.app and stickies and can't find anything.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
On Mac it syncs to your On-My-Mac Mail notes. And... its absolutely amazing :)

that's really weird.. that was the first place I looked at first and the "On My Mac" section has been completely blank... I just resynced a couple times back to back and they're showing up there now. I guess for now I'll chalk that up to beta hiccups. Very sweet, though, I always wondered why those were stuck to your phone unless you emailed them :)

jake921660

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Australia
Cheers for the replies. I did mean in 3.0 but ost of you worked that out anyway.

I am in the process of testing your question with the iPhone and Outlook 2003.

I will post results here. as soon as I complete the sync.

That thread told me pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
What is needed to enable the syncing? Does the account in Mail have to be the same as the one on iPhone? If so, will it work with Gmail (IMAP)?

it's not dependent on what email account you use as far as I can tell. The notes section in Mail.app has notes for your email accounts and then it has a local one for notes directly on your computer. It syncs to the local notes, which isn't tied to an email address.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
it's not dependent on what email account you use as far as I can tell. The notes section in Mail.app has notes for your email accounts and then it has a local one for notes directly on your computer. It syncs to the local notes, which isn't tied to an email address.

Thanks for the clarification. So it syncs via iTunes. Hopefully MobileMe will come out with OTA syncing once 3.0 streets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.