Questions about syncing notes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jake921660, Mar 20, 2009.

1. jake921660 macrumors regular

What program does it sync with?

If I have a note and i add something to it on the comp, then add something else on the iPhone, will it include both or just the computer copy?

2. iPhAddict macrumors newbie

iPhAddict

sorry to say that iPhone note cannot be accessed through your desktop pc. But you can Workaround to Sync Notes.

I know you are one of those folks who is disappointed that you cannot sync the notes on your iPhone to your PC thanks to the current limitation of the iPhone's Notes application then there is a crude workaround. You would know that each contact has a notes field. So all you need to do is create a fake contact and paste any info you like in the notes field for that contact in Address Book that way after a sync you will have all that information on your PC.

Hope this helps.

3. elbirth macrumors 65816

are you referring to the new notes sync ability of iPhone 3.0? If so, I don't know the answer to your question, but I can't seem to figure out where the notes are synced to on my Mac. Does anyone know? I've looked in Mail.app and stickies and can't find anything.

4. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I am in the process of testing your question with the iPhone and Outlook 2003.

I will post results here. as soon as I complete the sync.

5. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

On Mac it syncs to your On-My-Mac Mail notes. And... its absolutely amazing :)

6. elbirth macrumors 65816

that's really weird.. that was the first place I looked at first and the "On My Mac" section has been completely blank... I just resynced a couple times back to back and they're showing up there now. I guess for now I'll chalk that up to beta hiccups. Very sweet, though, I always wondered why those were stuck to your phone unless you emailed them :)

7. slapppy macrumors 65816

8. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Not available in 3.0. Must still use 3rd party native apps.
    I use Listomni for my To Do's.

9. slapppy macrumors 65816

Oh that is so uncool. By now it should have been fixed. Still can't use a core app is fail!

10. jake921660 thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers for the replies. I did mean in 3.0 but ost of you worked that out anyway.

That thread told me pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What is needed to enable the syncing? Does the account in Mail have to be the same as the one on iPhone? If so, will it work with Gmail (IMAP)?

12. elbirth macrumors 65816

it's not dependent on what email account you use as far as I can tell. The notes section in Mail.app has notes for your email accounts and then it has a local one for notes directly on your computer. It syncs to the local notes, which isn't tied to an email address.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Thanks for the clarification. So it syncs via iTunes. Hopefully MobileMe will come out with OTA syncing once 3.0 streets.