Questions about the Airport Express Base Station...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Matto1020, May 16, 2008.

1. Matto1020 macrumors member

Matto1020

So I currently have a Linksys wireless router that I use. If I buy the express base station, can I simply use it for external harddrive/printer sharing only and still use my linksys wireless router?

Also...if I can share my harddrives wirelessly, will my wireless PS3 be able to pick up the signal and could I have access to them from that? Thanks!

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I don't know about the second question, but for the first, yes, you should be able to. But I'm curious why you'd want to. The AEBS can completely replace the linksys and should give you all the same functionality. More simple that way, too.

3. Matto1020 thread starter macrumors member

Matto1020

The only problem is that my 360 is not wireless...and the Express Base Station doesn't have an output if I am not mistaken.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

It does. Gigabit ethernet ports. Either 1 or 4, I can't remember. But it's not only wireless...you can plug non-wireless devices into it.

5. Matto1020 thread starter macrumors member

Matto1020

It has a jack to plug IN a cable modem and a USB port and a stereo jack. I would also need an ethernet OUT jack which I don't think it has.

Remember..I am looking at the Express Base Station...not the Extreame Base Station.

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Ah, my bad. I didn't catch the Express. Sorry.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm not 100% sure that it can be used with a hard drive.

8. Bambeezer macrumors regular

The express can do a printer, but not a hard drive.