Questions about the Black MacBooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GrimmPenguin, Jun 11, 2008.

1. GrimmPenguin macrumors regular

After much consideration, I'm thinking about getting a black MacBook instead of the white. Black just fits me better, as most of my other electronics are black. But the reason I'm wanting the black now is because of the coating and the quality of the black over the white. The glossy, white coat scratches easily, and I don't want the MacBook to be covered in scratches a year down the road.

Do the black not crack as much as the white models have reportedly? I know that the cracks are more from the user's treatment, so this isn't much of a problem.

I'm also curious about the feel of the black MacBook. I understand it's a matte feel, but its it rough or is it smooth to the touch? I had a black Dell Inspiron and the feel of it was rough. I don't want the MacBook if it's like that because that just feels cheap to me. Also is the interior(palm rest, area around the screen, etc.) the same color as the exterior coating? In the whites, I'm pretty sure that the interior is a light grey color, and doesn't match the white coating completely.

I might just have to take a two hour trip to the nearest Best Buy and look for myself at the laptops... If anybody has any advice to my question, I would much appreciate it.

2. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

MacBook cracking doesn't happens to all. BlackBook crackings do happen, but less people have BlackBooks so you don't hear it everyday. As far as I know, after several weeks of usage the trackpad starts to like have a circle-ish mark/stain.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have a new BlackBook after having owned an iBook for four years. I can tell you firsthand that they're much easier to take care of than the white (though I do think the white is prettier). As for the trackpad issue- just get some trackpad film and you'll be fine. And yes, the BlackBook is a solid, uniform color throughout and it feels very smooth.

4. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

I think that's common for almost every trackpad though. That's just the oils from your fingers coming off and being rubbed into the trackpad. I've seen almost every worn laptop like that. My Dell did that too. I think that black would just show it more than most other colors.

5. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Exactly:)

6. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

Is the white coating like so glossy that it reflects even indoor light? I really don't want something that's just so freaking eye-catching... Do the white MacBooks scratch easily as say the 5G iPods? I know that the front bezel on my iPod has a lot of scratches and scuffs on it, and I babied it.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- they scratch easily.

8. farmerku macrumors regular

farmerku

It is definitely a smooth black surface unlike a few of the other black laptops I have used. I've had mine for three weeks now and the only complaint is the finger print issue but it's not the end of the world.

9. priller macrumors regular

No scratches on mine because I don't abuse it.

10. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

They scratch. I don't baby mine, and it doesn't look too beat up, but there are definitely lots of minute scratches if you look closely. And my Macbook turned blue because the dye of my jeans rubbed off on it (when I used it on my lap)! I can't get it off, but I haven't tried a Mr. Clean magic eraser yet.

My Macbook also cracked twice, it's currently with Apple right now for a cracked bezel. :(

11. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I've been using a BlackBook since November'07. Really love the thing, actually. If you are worried about shiny marks on the trackpad and palmrest, get a protector such as the Moshi Palmguard.

The outsides of the top and bottom cover will get scratched eventually. Mine sleeps in a pillowcase inside my backpack and it still gets scratches/contact-marks. Oh well, MacBooks aren't made from diamonds... :rolleyes:

12. Shoeguy macrumors newbie

Once you've had black.....

I've had both a white intel and black intel MacBook, and prefer the black, just because it looks nicer. The black is sort of low matte finish, and cleans up nicely with windex on a rag. Don't eat fried chicken and use your black MacBook in the same 24 hours.

13. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Or, uh, try soap and hot water (on your hands) after the finger-lickin' part;)

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Whether it's Black or White, it's a bit of work to keep both of them looking immaculate, for those of us that are OCD. My best friend was iKlear with its microfiber and polishing cloth. My white MB 2.16 was called immaculate by the Apple Store Manager, when I brought it in to be replaced with a BlackBook 2.4 Penryn. Having just sold my BlackBook, it had no scratches, no finger smudges, and looked like I just brought it home from the Apple Store. I also used a can of Gas Duster on a regular basis, to keep the dust and whatnot out of the keys and keyboard. I had my BlackBook since February 28, '08 and it went for top dollar because I took care of it. :cool:

15. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that I will be cleaning mine about the same amount as you clean yours. I've vowed to baby and pamper and clean this thing that I'm spending so much of my money and time on.

What do people usually clean the smudges off with? Just a damp cloth, a microfiber cloth, or what? Are the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers safe to use on the macbooks, or will I even have a need for one if I go black?

16. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Jeez, you sure go through computers fast! MacBook, Blackbook, MBA, Mac Pro. What next?