Questions about the iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stryker2020, Jun 7, 2011.

1. stryker2020 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm a new Apple computer user, well I don't have it yet. I'm starting a college course in September making and breaking up films, so I thought a mac would be the best choice for me... I plan on getting the 27" iMac with the i5 CPU... Now here are my questions

1) as I'm doing video editing, would the i7 be more benefical for me?
    2) Can I purchase additional RAM and an SSD after purchase, that's not from Apple and have them fit it?

I watched the wwdc yesterday and was impressed by lion. I was planning on getting the magic pad as well as the magic mouse, but as I won't be purchasing until September, will lion come already installed, or will I have to purchase from the mac app store still?

Thanks guys, and I seriously can't wait to purchase my first of many mac computers

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The i5 will do what you need, but extra power is always useful for video editing. I'd buy the i7 if you can afford it.

If you want the SSD you'll need to buy it up front. The iMac doesn't come with the necessary drive mount & cabling otherwise. RAM can be upgraded later.

Lion will start shipping with new computers as soon as it's available - by Sept it'll probably be pre-installed. Prior to that you may need to run the upgrade yourself, but you shouldn't have to pay for it after the launch.

3. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

Lion is supposed to be coming to Mac App Store in July so by September should definitely be coming preinstalled on new machines.

4. MTI macrumors 65816

If you're serious about video editing, you may want to get a "knob" in addition to a mouse/trackpad. I can't imagine doing hours of edits without my Griffin. ;)

5. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

you can get lion free

if you purchase a mac on the 6th of june and afterwards u get lion free of charge, just ring them up (ps this is confirmed)