Questions about the mini-displayport adapters

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steelmac, Dec 10, 2008.

1. steelmac macrumors newbie

So I'm a potential "switcher", and thinking about purchasing a 15" MBP.
    And I'm also considering purchasing a 30" LCD in the near future.
    But in the mean time, I'd like to be able to hook up the MBP to a 24" LCD.

1. Is it possible to use the mini-displayport -> Dual-link DVI adapter with a single-link DVI port on the 24"??
    2. And how likely is Apple going to release a mini-displayport -> regular displayport adapter, if ever??
    3. Will the MBP run at maximum 1920x1200 resolution on my 24" LCD?
    Thanks!

2. MacAlpha macrumors regular

1. I don't know, I will defer to someone else.
    2. I am sure Apple will, if they don't someone else will. Apple has decided to license its mini displayport technology without charge.
    3. Yes.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. Nope. It doesn't work that way. The adapters are only to get the new MacBook line to work with other displays. Only three computers in the world work with the LED Cinema Display.
    2. Unless the Mac Pro's new cards use regular DisplayPort instead of Mini DisplayPort, they won't.
    3. The MacBook can handle 2560x1600–the 30" Cinema Display. Why the heck couldn't the MacBook Pro handle 1920x1200?

4. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I don't believe he's talking about the 24" Apple LED Cinema Display. It sounds like he has an existing 24" LCD with DVI input and is wondering if he can use a dual-link DVI cable. And he'll be using a dual-link DVI cable because he apparently wants to future-proof himself for an upgrade to a 30" display later.

As for #2, Apple may not do it, but since they released the Mini DisplayPort spec for free, I'd imagine some third party will do it.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Aha. In that case, the answer is yes.

6. steelmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.
    And yes, I was talking about another 24" monitor.

I placed my order for the MBP, and decided to hold off on the adapter cable. Guess we'll see what Apple and third parties turn up in the coming months.

Also, I was told that theoretically the dual-link DVI will work with a single-link port. Just that the extra pins won't be used.

So excited! First Mac! Hope it's a good one!