Questions about the new iMac 27

Discussion in 'iMac' started by IceHot, Dec 1, 2012.

1. IceHot macrumors newbie

So basically i been thinking about going mac for a looong time, but the graphic cards always put me off...however now with the new imacs and the 680mx graphics chip it may very well be the time for me to make that change...But there is a couple of things im concerned about.

1. How good is the 680mx? will it be able to achieve 7000+ in 3dmark 11,if that is the case im def gonna go get it.

2. The new fusion drives are crazy expensive, is it possible to hook up an external ssd and run the os from that?

2. NJelect macrumors member

Truthfully, the advanced evga video cards for the PC (i7) are far ahead of any iMac graphic capability.
    However, the OS concerning the mac is much more efficient in performing operations than windows.

Windows OS is pear shaped, perhaps one day MS will take note and attempt correction.
    Mac software engineers are careful and generally plan ahead to minimize code so the hardware does not need to pick-up the slack.

Windows software engineers don't seem to care how large the code becomes, they have the belief if it does not work fast enough on your computer then go buy a new one; arrogant viewpoint.