Questions about the SIM-free 6s+ and Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fudd, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Fudd macrumors member

Hi All,

I'm thinking of ordering the SIM free version of the phone and had some questions. I'm currently on Verizon and my contract just expired.

- Is there an actual advantage to getting the SIM free version over the Verizon phone which is also apparently fully unlocked? Reason I ask this is I don't really intend to travel outside the US.

- Wouldn't the Verizon phone also work on all the other carriers?

- My old phone uses a micro-sim (android) so where would I get the nano-sim from? Do I contact Apple or Verizon?

- If I pick up the phone from the Apple store, would they be able to transfer my line to the new phone along with supplying the nano-sim?

- Once the iphone is activated, will I still be able to use the old sim + old phone as a backup?

Thanks in advance!

2. duaneu macrumors 6502a

The only advantage of the SIM free over the Verizon version would be if you ever planned to use the phone on AT&T. It has one extra LTE band that only AT&T uses. Other than that, the phones are identical.

You'll probably have to get a new nano SIM from Verizon if you buy SIM free. Not sure if you can get a SIM and have Apple activate it. Obviously they activate Verizon phones, so it's possible, just not sure if they'll do it with the SIM free model. Maybe someone else has done it and knows for sure. If you buy the Verizon model, it will come with a SIM and Apple can transfer your number to the new one.

You won't be able to use your old SIM once it's deactivated. However, you could get an adapter so your nano SIM would fit in the micro SIM slot on the old phone. Here's an example I found (I don't know anything about that particular company, just found it through a search): http://www.nanosim-adapter.com

3. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

When you buy a sim-free phone at the Apple store and do the iPhone upgrade program, you will be required to choose a carrier to activate the phone with. They will provide the carrier sim and activate the phone before you leave the store. Otherwise, you just buy the phone and use the sim from your existing phone or get one from your carrier.

4. duaneu macrumors 6502a

He can't use the old SIM, it's a micro SIM. Newer iPhones use a nano SIM.

5. Fudd thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. Hopefully the Apple store might be able to give me a verizon sim for now though I do plan to try out AT&T and the MVNOs.

6. ninaco, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

I just picked up a sim-free phone from the Apple Store last night. Went right from Apple to the Verizon Wireless store. I'm a pre-paid customer -- switching from a Galaxy S4 to the 6s+. So, like you, my old phone had a micro sim.

Verizon couldn't have made it easier. Within about 10 minutes they'd put a sim in the iPhone and activated it under the same account/phone number. They even made sure I could place calls before I left. I guess they get this request all the time. :) There was no charge for the service.

Verizon didn't ask for the old sim back. It's still in the S4. But, of course, that phone no longer has service.