Questions about the Verizon iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gata, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Gata macrumors regular

1: If I have a backup of an iPod Touch (see sig) and I choose to "restore from backup" to restore my saved game data, would any of the existing apps (such as the phone or sms app) be removed?

2: I've been hearing price terms flying around. One figure was the standard 199/299 deal. The other was a 649/749 dollar price tag. Both are 16/32 GB, respectively. What's the difference, or which one's the real price?

3: Would it be worth waiting for the iPhone "5" that Apple would undoubtedly announce at WWDC 2011? I can wait 'til july/early august to buy the iPhone.

2. draz macrumors 6502a

1. Restore from Backup will replace everything on the device with what is in the backup. It does not merge with existing data.

2. The prices you see reflect the subsidized pricing from Verizon (2yr contracts) and the unsubsidized pricing (no term contract). And until there is an official release we can only speculate on the real prices.... Although the pricing for Verizon would be very similar to what AT&T is offering

3. I would wait it out, why lock yourself down under contract when a new iPhone will be announced in a few months?

3. Gata thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

For #1, though, I'm still confused. Would it just add my apps w/ their existing data and update Mail/Notes with my old data, while leaving new apps untouched (such as the Phone)?

I just want to make sure.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Your thread title is about the vzw iPhone 4. Your sig suggests you have a iPod Touch 4G. I'm assuming you want to use your iPod Touch's backup file and restore onto the iPhone 4? You cannot do that. iPod Touch's backup can only be restored onto an iPod Touch, not any other device.

5. drarrex7 macrumors newbie

I don't think that's correct. I'm not sure about iPod touch --> iPhone but I used my iPod touch backup to setup my iPad when I first got it. Worked perfectly. I would expect it to work with the iPhone, and I definitely wouldn't expect it to remove the iPhone apps that aren't on the iPod. The iPad is missing several Apps that are on the iPod (e.g. Calculator, weather, clock). These apps were not added to the iPad when I restored. But data/settings from the overlapping Apps was carried over correctly.

I would definitely give it a shot. If something goes wrong, you can always restore the iPhone back to factory settings.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Well then try it when you get your iPhone 4. i just ran a quick check to see if I can restore my iPad from my iPod Touch 4G's backup and it is not available. Only backups listed are the iPad ones. Under pref. at least 3 iPod Touch backups are listed in total but none available for the iPad. Quite obviously there is a problem with either my iTunes or your understanding.
    Can anyone else confirm that one iOS device can be restored from another iOS's backup?

7. drarrex7 macrumors newbie

That is interesting. I just checked the restore options for my iPad in iTunes, and the option to restore from my iPod touch backup is still available. Actually, we have backups of 3 seperate iPod touches - all 3 are available options. They are all second generation iPod touches, though, so perhaps that's the difference. That's the only other variable I can think of.

I will gladly give it a shot and report back after I get my iPhone 4 next month.