Questions about the Wireless keyboard, Apple Mouse, and more.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tuareg, Mar 9, 2010.

1. tuareg macrumors newbie

Hi there!

I plan on building my first Apple setup. Therefore I have some questions:

1) Are there any plans from Apple to produce a WIRELESS keyboard WITH keypad? To be specific: a new keyboard with the exact same interface/layout of the regular keyboard with numeric keypad, only WIRELESS.

2) Is the Wireless Apple Mouse (AKA Wireless Mighty Mouse) now officially discontinued?

3) I was told here that the discontinued Apple Cinema Display HD 23" monitor had an update in fall 2006. The update was technical-internal (not external or cosmetic in any way, right?). I would really appreciate any information regarding that update.

Moreover, I would like to know if there is a method to identify and verify a Cinema Display 23" monitor that is an (fall 2006) updated model, and not an old one.

Were there any more updates, of any kind, to the Apple CDHD 23" monitor?

4) In some cases, the Apple Cinema Display HD 23" is labeled under "A1082" and in other cases it is labeled under the code "M9178LL/A". Is it just a different code for the SAME monitor?

5) Aside from the additional drive bay, the rearrangement of the I/O ports in the front and in the back (including the single exhaust fan instead of two), are there any other external/cosmetic differences between the Power Mac G5 and the Mac Pro?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
    Roy

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

1. Other than Apple, I highly doubt anyone would know.

2. I think I still saw them on the shelves at my local Apple Store last week.

3. I don't know.

4. I don't know.

5. None that I'm aware of.

3. tuareg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks pastrychef for your reply.

Regarding the mouse:

I know that the Wireless Apple Mouse (Mighty Mouse) is widely available:
    I was hoping to find out if it got discontinued in the sense that Apple has stopped producing it completely and totally.

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Yes, I think it has been discontinued and production has stopped.

5. Terry Smith macrumors member

Terry Smith

There are lots of Mighty Mice Wireless in Inventory at retail shops. They probably don't make them anymore, but they are still around.

There are lots of 3rd party wireless keyboards out there, many purportedly better than the Apple versions. Logitech are the most pronounced, but even Microsoft stuff is fairly well supported. The new Magic Mouse is really well made/designed - but the lack of extra function method (i.e. expose trigger) makes it a step backwards in terms of speed/functionality - you HAVE to use a keyboard to get those functions.

You sound like a PC guy converting, cuz normally you don't 'build' your systems - you use them :).

Good luck!

6. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

There are some 3rd party (some FREE) drivers that add much more functionality to the Magic Mouse.

Here:

http://blog.boastr.net/

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

To answer #3 and 4, according to this MR article, the update was a drop in price and an increase in brightness and contrast ratio. I'm unsure of the specific model numbers before and after the update, or even if there was a change in the model numbers as this was a silent update by Apple. But if the brightness and contrast ratio of the monitor you're purchasing are listed, you can compare them to the numbers in that article and determine if it is the newest model.

Secondly, A1082 is the model number and M9178LL/A is the SKU (or vise versa, I can never remember). Apple products generally have both, but I do believe it is the same model.

8. Terry Smith macrumors member

Terry Smith

Thanks for the driver point on the Magic Mouse! So I take it back... the BetterTouchTool is pretty amazing... almost exactly what I wanted. You should post that hint on some of the Magic Mouse conversations.

Sorry Tuareg, I digressed from your inquiry in excitement :)

TMS

9. tuareg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for answering my questions.

No problem Terry Smith, I'm glad my thread helped you. Regarding keyboard by other manufacturers - Some may be better the Apple's, but as far as looks Apple is in a league of its own.

Regarding the Apple Cinema Display HD 23" - If the fall 2006 update was internal-technical only, and it was the only update, is it safe to say that the Apple Cinema Display HD 23" looked the same (externally, superficially) from the first production to the discontinuation?

One more thing - Is it possible to take an empty Power Mac G5 / Mac Pro case and install PC components inside? Was it done before?

10. skorpien macrumors 68020

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Cinema_Display

According to that entry, the ACD used to have a polycarbonate housing and switched to aluminum, so no it didn't remain the same.

As for your second point... Why?... Sorry, had to get that out of the way. Yes it's been done.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=303675

11. tuareg thread starter macrumors newbie

When I asked that I was refferring to the aluminum 23" Cinema Display HD (A1082) only, sorry for the confusion. And I guess that indeed it looked exactly the same, externally, from start to finish, true?

Regarding my second question: The reason was that I'm in love with the Mac Pro / Power Mac G5's design but I'm not quite sure I am ready to take the plunge and switch to Mac.

12. skorpien macrumors 68020

Ah I see. I do believe the design has stayed the same since Apple changed them to the aluminum enclosures for the 23". At least the wikipedia page I linked to earlier seems to corroborate that theory.

And you can run Boot Camp and install Windows onto a separate partition if you so choose. If you have an Apple store nearby, I'd see if you can get into a workshop. They'll teach you the ins and outs of OS X. I know Macs aren't for everyone, but honestly they're a lot simpler than most people think. And with Windows on Boot Camp, you'll still have that OS to fall back to during the transition. That's what I did and I haven't looked back. In fact, as time went on I started using my Windows partition less and less. I only use it when I need a program that doesn't have a Mac equivalent yet.

Although if you feel Macs aren't for you, look around on eBay for a Mac Pro case and search around on some mod forums. I'm sure you'll be able to put together a nice PC that's as aesthetically pleasing as any Mac.