questions about this monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cuestakid, Oct 6, 2007.

1. cuestakid macrumors 68000

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026
    I have two questions about this monitor-

1. It has HDMI instead of DVI-which while I know is good and all, but since I will need to use a HDMI to DVI cable(they include one btw), won't I lose some picture quality ?

2. Since it has HDCP will it work at all on a Mac?

3. How can a 28in monitor with HDMI be cheaper than a 27in from dell-or for that matter the 24 in from dell? I saw this monitor at a best buy yesterday and it looked great-but there seems to be something up with this price-mainly it seems far too low?

My current mac is a mac pro with the 7300GT

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Thats three questions :p

1 - I don't think you will lose any noticeable quality with the conversion.

2 - Basically if you can connect it. it will work.

3 - This kind of goes back to the first question with "noticeable quality" I have never heard of Hanns-G or what ever it was. I would be cautious of cheap quality.

3. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

thats what i figured-

mind as well add me to the list of people hoping for new displays

:p

4. Drile macrumors member

Bingo. I would do some research on the brand before jumping on it.

5. pepto macrumors member

The 160 degree viewing angles and 3ms response time suggest that it is a TN panel, much like the 20 inch Al iMac. Nearly all 24 inchers and (I think) the Dell 27 incher use more expensive panels with better viewing angles.

6. sndcj1 macrumors member

Another note, I can say with almost complete certainty that this is a 6 bit panel, not 8 bit. Due to the viewing angle (160 not 178) and response time (3ms not 8-12) you are looking at a cheaper manufactured panel. This doesn't compare to the dells as they are the more expensive 8bit panels. There seems to be a tilting point in the monitor market. It use to be that you couldn't find a 20" monitor that WASN'T 8 bit... now it's hard to find one that is. It seems that we are at the edge of that on these large sized panels now.

edit: in other words, i agree with pepto