Questions about Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gaelinic, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Gaelinic macrumors regular

So, I'm thinking of purchasing my first Mac, making the transition from a PC. And, one of the things I want to do is stream video and music to my Xbox 360. I found a program online called Connect 360 (with this boards help). And now, I want to get a terabyte hard drive to add all this new video. One of the options I was looking at was the 1tb Time Capsule. But that thing is 3x as much as a regular TB hard drive. I understand the Time capsule is a hard drive/wireless router. Is that right? Please note, that I still don't have a mac and I'm still making the decision to make the plunge. Anyway, I have some questions.

1. Can I use this hard drive as something more than just a backup drive? I see that time machine will backup your computer to this drive. But can I use additional space for more videos and music?

2. What is so special about Time Capsule that I could not do with any other external hard drive?

3. Can you connect any external hard drives to a wireless router? If not, can you provde a list or links to other hard drives that can do what Time Capsule does for less?

4. Why couldn't I connect any external hard drive to my current wireless router and use that as a storage device for my mac? Is this possible?
    Couldn't I just connect a different TB hard drive to my existing wireless network and use time machine to backup my computer that drive?

5. Does anyone know if connect 360 will identify a wireless hard drive (or Time Capsule) for my media?

6. Can I (on a Mac) and my wife (on a PC) share an external hard drive through a wireless router? Or, more importantly can my I and my wife share Time Capsule without making partitions?

7. One last question: I currently have a 250 gb hard drive with lots of shows from my childhood (not available on DVD) and music. Can I transfer those to my MAC simply by dragging them over to the drive? Or, what do I need to be able to see those files. Most of them were AVI files and worked with windows media players.

Thanks in advance. The answers to these questions will let me decide whether to buy now or wait.

Gaelinic

2. south8212 macrumors 6502

Im gonna answer what i can for you....

1. Yes, it can be used just like any other external hd.
    2. The time capsule is a wireless hd, it also is a router and provides wireless printing capabilities.
    3. No you cannot the external hd must be an nas.
    4. No, odds are your wireless router does not support that.
    5. I dont know
    6. Not through a wireless router because that will not work. You can share the timecapsule without partitions.
    7. Yes just select them and drag them off the drive onto your computer.

3. Gaelinic thread starter macrumors regular

I just thought of another question. Can you access the Time Capsule drive from anywhere in the world with a macbook pro since it's also a router connected to the internet?

Thanks.

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I don't think so. Let say your time capsule is somewhere in New York but you probably can't use it in France. Your wireless internet doesn't go that far even if it's wireless. But if you mean by accessing time machine to back up some files..I don't think so either. It wouldn't be possible. And of course I've never done that before but I'm assuming it's not going to work...I don't think any modern router could do that..

5. south8212 macrumors 6502

no thats not the concept....the time capsule basically joins your existing wireless network or creates a new one using your connection. So you have to be on your own network to access it.

6. billfjr macrumors newbie

You can connect to you TC from the outside world I do it everyday.

7. south8212 macrumors 6502

your right its possible but i dont think thats what they are trying to accomplish, i think they are just trying to get a general idea of the time capsule.

8. billfjr macrumors newbie

I read a little closer to the original post and really was answering yours, sorry.

1. I am not sure on e this as I use it to store videos, pictures and software.
    2. As bryan1884 said it is a router and allows wireless printing, I have 3 drives and a printer connected to mine.
    3. Same answer as bryan1884, only nas's can connect to any wireless router thru ethernet or a wireless bridge.
    4. You can if it is a nas (network attached storage)
    5. It looks like if the software is installed on your mac and it is powered up and connected to the TC wireless or hard wired you can, but not directly to the TC as the operating system is not designed for that.
    6. Do not have a pc to try it with.
    7. Look at bryan1884 answer and yes you can get flip4mac and there is a plugin apple sells to allow for the playing avi's and most wmv's you can also use vlc.

9. crizyal macrumors member

Can you please tell me how you accomplished this. Thank you.