Questions about Time Machine.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by miksterman, Feb 18, 2010.

1. miksterman macrumors member

I'm slowly filling up a 2 TB hard drive with movies and TV shows and will be getting another internal 2 TB hard drive to put more on before to long. So I'm trying to figure out how to do a Time Machine backup for these hard drives. I'm thinking on getting a 4 TB w/eSATA external raid (0) drive but may get 2 of them if I can figure out how or if Time Machine can do the backups the way I would like. Is it possible to have Time Machine do different scheduled backups to different hard drives? If so could somebody tell me how it's done?

Oh if your wondering my computer setup is as follows: Snow Leopard running on a 2.8 Quad Core Mac Pro with two 2 TB internal hard drive, DVD-RW Drive and BlueRay Drive, 16 GB ram, eSATA Extender Ports, Dual 23" LCD Screens. :D

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

TM is kept very simple. If you want to change it, you will have to "go behind TM's back". There is add on freeware called "Time Machine Editor" that can change the backup schedule to every 4 hours or once a day or whatever you like. It only works if you shut off TM and it launches TM "behind TM's back". There is probably a command you can issue in Terminal to make TM back up the way you want it to. So you would write a cron job to alternate between two commands. What I'm not sure about is if there is a config file somewhere that tells TM what volume it is backing up to and no matter what you type in terminal, it always wants to go to one spot. But based on the behavior of TM editor, I believe it is possible to run TM from Terminal.

hope this helps...

3. miksterman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I took a look at the Time Machine Extender and it's nice how they allow you control of the scheduling but it even falls short on the control of volumes and how I can back them up and to where. So what are some good software alternatives for backing up data and would allow me to do what I would like?