Questions about transfering applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Edandlindz28, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

I selling my old iBook and the only program I installed was MS Office. When I moved the box with the installion CD was lost (last time I do that).

Can I copy the program from my applications folder to an external HD, do a fresh install and import the program back into the folder?

If I can't how can I change the name of the computer(so my name is not on it), turn off filevault, and transfer applecare to the new owner?

I don't put bank info on my computer so I don't have to worry about account information. Thanks.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

MS Office may or may not work, it will likely ask for the serial, and may ask for the CDs. You would want to also transfer all the MS items from the Library, Library: Application Support, and look thoroughly through your User folder and its library for MS items. If you are using Entourage you will definitely want to locate and move your email database.

An Erase and Install from the OSX CD is the way to prep the machine for sale. You can Quit from the registration process, leaving them to input their name to create a User account. Applecare follows the serial number, there isn't anything specific you have to do.

3. Edandlindz28 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay thanks, I don't think I will be able to sell it though with the MS Office then. Not having the disks causes the problem and doing the fresh install would make it so I can't go back into the system.

Is there anywhere I go in the utilities to select fresh install, or do I boot from the installion CD? I have never done this before.