Questions about trip to Cancun

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mowbr4, Mar 13, 2009.

1. mowbr4 macrumors member

Hey everyone!

I have several questions about going to Cancun, Mexico. I figured that you all would be the best to ask. I understand that the interntaional plan is $4.99 per month to sign up. Then after that it is .59 a minute to talk. But my questions are as follows:

1) Will the person calling me be charged extra?
    2) What data plan will I need to be able to text message?
    3) If the person calls me from the U.S, is all I get charged that $.09 a minute?

Site for Reference: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/affordable-world-packages.jsp#5

Please let me know.

Thanks all!

2. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

I just got back from Cancun a couple of weeks ago. Make sure you're getting the "Mexico package" that allows you to make calls FROM Mexico and not calls TO Mexico. It worked great for me.

1) No.

2) You don't need a data plan to get or receive texts. Texts you receive are free (no charge). I believe texts you send are .50 cents each. I used Wifi at the hotel and sent e-mails instead of texts.

3) I thought it was still .59 cents/minute.

Make sure you have the intern roaming turned OFF.

3. mowbr4 thread starter macrumors member

If i have unlimited text messaging here in the U.S, will that work in Mexico? I'd prefer to text over phone calls anyway.

Thanks!

4. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

If you're physically in Mexico with this plan, whether you receive the call or make the call, it will be 59 cents per minute. The 9 cents is if you're in the US with your iphone and make a call to a Mexican landline.

The person calling you will not be charged extra, because they are calling your US number.

International text messages are more expensive, and not included in the normal text messaging plans. Any message you send while you are not in the US costs 50 cents per message. Messages you receive while not in the US are charged at your normal rate or part of your text plan.

What will really get you is the data fees. Checking for email, and even Visual Voicemail uses some data, and it will be charged at about 2 cents per kilobyte when not in the US (adds up quickly- bills of $1000s are not unheard of), so I would strongly encourage not having the phone on at all or very little outside the US.

5. mowbr4 thread starter macrumors member

I will turn off my roaming so i will not get charged the data fees. I don't need to check email nor voicemail while there. The only thing I will really use is my text message to communicate to people I need to while on vacation. Does anyone know if there is anyway to get around the .50 a text? Possibly an app that will let me use the wi-fi from the resort?

Thanks!

6. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Yes, if you have airplane mode turned on (so that the 3G and EDGE radios are off), and then go in and turn wifi on. Then you can use just the wifi at wifi hotspots to send emails or use instant message apps like AIM to send messages. You can also use emails to send text messages by using the appropriate email address for that person's number and carrier, for example cellnumberhere@txt.att.net for AT&T.

7. mowbr4 thread starter macrumors member

Now that I look at my resorts wi-fi, it is a surcharge and only works in the lobby. Damn, I wonder if there is anyway to get around that $.50 charge...

8. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Incoming texts are charged the same as outgoing. I was/am on the World Traveler Plan ( I think thats the name) and text are .25 instead of .50.
    Looks like AT&T has a new policy on incoming calls, I keep getting charged $2.50/ min for the phone just ringing. I used to be able to dispute that but no longer.

9. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

I'm not sure what type of World Travel package you have but the Mexico package is different. That may be the way texts work with your package but with the Mexico package I can assure you that there's no charge for incoming texts and .50 charge for outgoing.