questions about unibody mb hdd ugrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ebaba07baba, May 14, 2009.

1. ebaba07baba macrumors newbie

my brother bought a alim.macbook but he didnt like the hdd performance so he wants to upgrade the hdd but he doesnt know the best one. of course the best is ssd but they are very expensive in turkey ( about 450 dolar for 60 gb)
    so we will upgrade with a 7200 rpm one but ı have some questions about it

1- is there a big difference about heat, fan noise and vibration ???
    2- can he feel the difference of performance in general usage ???
    3- how long does it shorten the battery life ?
    4- there are a lot of marks like seagate, wd ,and fujitsu.....
    ı seached the forum and ı read a lot of topics , there are a lot of different ideas about 7200 rpm hdd but ı dont understand which is the best one ?
    ı want from a experienced person to answer me . please just say which is the best one and which has more performance in mac os x....

THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWERS

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Depends on the drive in question.

Depends on the drive in question, as well as the applications that make up your "general usage".

Depends on the drive in question.

Personally I've had good experiences with WD Scorpio drives. They're cheap, reliable, and they'll certainly work just fine in a MacBook. Other people may favor other brands -- for the most part they're all the same. Every once in a while there will be a manufacturing error or a bad batch, but modern drives all tend to be pretty damn reliable.

Any manufacturer worth their salt will post the spec sheets, so it's pretty easy to compare seek times, transfer rates, power consumption, and MTBF stats.

3. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

1. Noise and Vibration are really an individual thing. If you are used to an HDD, I would stick with them.
    2. You will feel a snappy jump from 5400 to 7200. You'll fee pure acceleration going from 5400 to SSD.
    3. Depends on your usage again. HDD uses more power than SSD typically. There is also the wear-and-tear of something with moving parts.
    4. I prefer the western digitals and seagates, but your experiences may vary.

Cheapest, Medium-Low performance - HDD
    Expensive, High-Performance - SSD

I'd throw a Momentus 7200.4 500GB 2.5" in there and your brother will be all set.