Questions about upgrade process (4.1 to 5.1.1)?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ka-spot, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

I own factory unlocked iPhone 4 and I want to upgrade from 4.1 to 5.1.1.

The process:
    1. I must backup my iPhone with iTunes.
    2. Upgrade to 5.1.1 over iTunes.
    3. JB using Absinthe.
    4. Restore backup.

The 4th step will restore my apps (Notemaster with all notes, FruitNinja, etc.), all contacts (phones, names, etc), camera pictures and music/video. Is this correct?

Is there serious risk of losing any data?

2. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

You'll lose app store app data like game saves. I always use AppBackup from Cydia. It allows you to save all the app store applications' data very easily. It backs up everything on to your phone, then you just copy the files off your phone to your pc. Then youll always have a backup that you can copy back to your phone. I know of a very easy step by step tutorial. If you want the link PM me and I'll send it to you. What's great is after you jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 and install AppBackup, you can copy all the backups over to your newly jailbroken phone. Then as you install each app one by one from the app store, you just open up AppBackup, find the app you want to restore, and tap the restore button! It's easily the best backup tool. I transfer all my app data after each jailbreak. Plus if I don't feel like installing a huge game like Infinity Blade (1GB), I just keep a copy of the backup on my pc and on my phone. If and when I ever get around to installing the app, I just go into AppBackup and restore my game to where I left off! This works for every single app store app, not just games.

3. ka-spot thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already did it..

Thank You !

The funny thing is that I lost things I don't care about (some games). All my important staff is on the phone :)