Questions about upgrading MacBook HD with 7200 RPM?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by todd2000, Jul 19, 2009.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I have some questions about upgrading the hard drive in a White MacBook.

1. If I do it my-self will it void my warranty? I notice that the MBP manual has instructions for replacing the hard drive, but the MacBook does not. Am I correct to assume that Apple doesn't consider the HD user replaceable in the MacBook, and it would void the warranty? If so I'll just stick the original 160 back in if I ever have to get it serviced.

2. Is there much of a difference in battery life if I were to put a 7200 RPM drive in it instead of 5400? It seems from my research that the extra heat from the faster drive isn't really a problem, but what about battery life?

3. Has anyone replaced their drive with a 7200 RPM or other? What are your experiences?

P.S. I don't have the MacBook yet, but I plan on getting it in a few weeks, just planning ahead.

Thanks!

2. pica93 macrumors member

Hi, I have a white macbook, and i've upgraded my laptop to a 320GB WD 7,200Rpm.

It has 16MB cache on it, and i find it compared to the old 5,400Rpm much faster.

I also upgraded my old mac mini from a 80GB 5,400Rpm to a 7,200Rpm and that also made a big difference.

I'm not sure if it does void the warranty, but if you do have any problems you can just put in the original one... then send it back to apple.

I hope this is has helped you a bit.
    Alex

3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, but that document is 5 years old, and it all basically depends on whether or not Apple considers the HD in the MacBook as a "customer-installable part."

Im not overly concerned though since I'll just put the old drive back in if it needs service.

4. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

meh i dont think you should buy 7200 rpm save up for a SSD sure there expensive but they save u a lot of battery life and its just so much faster i mean everything opens instantly compared to when it used to be take about 7-8 bounces in some apps its like having a new computer :)