Questions about upgrading my 2010 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DWBurke811, Jun 10, 2011.

1. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Been lurking around awhile, just registered to be able to post.

Just a little background on me. I'm 21 and a Jr. in college majoring in Business Econ, and will be applying for lawschool in the following year. My first few laptops were my dads ThinkPads after he got a new one; got to the middle of highschool and got a new HP dv2000, which I hated. First year of college it crapped out, sent it in to get fixed, but got a Gateway T 1625, which still wasn't great but I liked the fact it had a HDMI port I could hook up to my 37" LCD. Something went south on it and it started overheating, right around 14 months so was out of warrantee. I still had the HP, but I had wanted an Apple for awhile and decided to do it. I love it, OS X (10.6.7 and 10.7 on a seperate partition), the trackpad, battery life, and just the build quality. And I like that I have Win7 Ultimate on a third partition with bootcamp.

I have a 2010 13" MacBook Pro; 2.4Ghz C2D, 4GB, 250GB. The main things I use it for are browsing the Internet (Chrome Canary), MS Office Pro, basic photography with Aperature 3 and CS5, 1080p(TV)/720p(laptop) BluRay .mkv's with VLC. Other stuff here and there but that's the majority of it.

Over the summer I want to upgrade my MacBook, I will probably hold onto it for another 2-3 years then get a new Mac during law school. Here's the order I'm thinking, but am open to suggestions.

1. Not really an upgrade, but I want to get a Twelve South SurfacePad.*

2. SSD. Thinking OCZ Vertex 2, in the 120GB range. I'm also considering an Intel 320, but want the speed of the Vertex 2.*

3. OWC Data Doubler and 1TB hard drive. If Samsung is the only one making a 9.5mm drive then it will be them, hopefully WD comes out with one soon though.*

4. 8GB of Crucial RAM

I have also undervolted using CoolBook.

I'll take any and all suggestions. Thanks :apple:

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I think you've pretty much covered a majority of the upgrades. They are also in the right order. I'm thinking about getting the Samsung Drive too. I currently have the WD 12.5mm drive. If you find out where to get the Samsung drive, let me know please. Good luck with the upgrades.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I would opt for Kingston HyperX Ram before Crucial but thats me.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

the brand of ram doesn't make a difference really, just look at what you can get for the best price and pay attention to deals that may pop up. i actually saw a 1066mhz 8gb kit on newegg yesterday for $20 off but it was a one-day deal, and it was even "apple module," whatever that means...probably just a selling point. as far as the ssd i would go with intel but that's just me. it's said that these drives are more reliable than fast (but are still fast ofc compared to hdd) and that is just something that i personally would prefer. if you want speed though then get the vertex.

5. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

There isn't a big price difference, but since I have a 2010 and it uses 1066 are there any benefits of getting faster RAM? I almost want it just because of how cool it looks lol

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

just get the ram that is specified for your model, the 1067mhz. that's probably your best bet.