Questions about upgrading through online store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Megad00mer, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Megad00mer macrumors newbie

I've always done my iPhone purchases and upgrades in my local Apple Store, but this time I decided to avoid the craziness and order online.

I pre-ordered this morning through apple.com, no problems and my 4S should be arriving 10/14. I've never done this without going to the store before so I have a couple questions for those who have.

Does my new phone automatically replace my previous phone on my celluar account once activated or do I need to call my carrier and let them know of the change?

Can I pre-sign for my package if someone isn't going to be home?

Does tracking through apple.com show you estimated delivery times?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. blarivee macrumors 6502

I can only tell you for AT&T. Once you activate the phone via iTunes or wireless, it will automatically disable your old SIM in your old phone and enable the SIM on your new iPhone.

I believe you can pre-sign for UPS but not quite sure about FedEx. The downside with pre-signing is they will leave your package on the doorstep and if you have dishonest people swipe your package, then the couriers aren't responsible for the lost of the package (a.k.a. you won't be able to file for a claim).

Tracking on apple.com is a hit and miss. I have seen Apple change the estimated ship time last minute. Once Apple has released the package to UPS/FedEx, they will provide a tracking number link to the courier's website to track the package from there.

Hope this helps.

3. Megad00mer thread starter macrumors newbie

It does a lot. Thanks so much. :D