Questions about using iOS 6 Beta and my iCloud backup

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Xystence, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Xystence macrumors regular

I have iOs 6 Beta 2 on my phone right now and it backs up to iCloud like its supposed to, could using a beta potentially harm this backup in anyway once everything is released and goes live? I am sure things can happen, and im sure people have had issues with non beta software here. I am just wondering what sort of risk im putting my data I do not want to lose when using this beta.

Many of my friends and such used iOS 5 beta and backed up and restored perfect going from all of those beta's to the public releases and no onto iOS 6 without issue. Could having beta leave lingering problems once its public etc?

Sorry for the amateur questions here, most of my stuff backs up separately then the nightly backup via some sort of cloud like service anyway, aside from a few games I would prefer not to lose it something happened.

Thank you for any advice!

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

I suspect it'll be fine. However, you can't restore from an iOS 6 beta iCloud backup to an iOS 5 device.

3. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

It should be fine, it's basically just storing your pictures, contacts, cals etc - all your apps just re-download from the App Store etc - there shouldn't be much/anything to get corrupt! :)

4. Xystence thread starter macrumors regular

This is true, it does redownload quite a bit of it from the app store, what about settings and progress within apps and games? Could that stuff become corrupted? Whats the chances? I suppose if one app had an issue you could delete just that app and redownload or reset settings and such.

Thanks for the replies!

Zcott: I know I cannot restore an iOS 6 backup to iOS 5, I mean just specifically it leaving lingering issues within the backup going forward in general.