Questions about Verizon's iPhone 6 Trade In Program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by idyll, Sep 20, 2014.

1. idyll macrumors 6502

I am wanting to trade in an iPhone 4 to Verizon to get the $200 gift card to use towards my monthly bill. I already received and activated my iPhone 6 that I purchased from Verizon. Is it too late to trade in my iPhone 4 now? The website for the Trade In Program allows me to fill the form out and request a box.

Called a local Verizon store to ask this question but they said if I traded the iPhone 4 in-store for the iPhone 6 I would get credit towards the iPhone 6, not a gift card? I already have the iPhone 6. They also said if the iPhone 6 has already been activated I can't trade in my iPhone 4, but I get a different impression from their Trade In website?

Also trying to ask Verizon themselves but have been on hold for 42 minutes so far...

2. idyll thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, the "The appraised value includes a promotional offer that requires a purchase of an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus on Verizon Wireless by 9/30/2014. Your device must be mailed to Verizon Wireless within 7 days after receiving the new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus but no later than 12/01/2014. " part makes me think I have 7 days to send in the phone, but my local Verizon store that I had called said different.

In any case, I was wondering if I could trade in my iPhone 4 in person at a local store so I could get the gift card sooner / immediately?

3. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Yes go to the store that's what I'm doing tomorrow, I called them and they said I would get the gift card right then

4. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Nope.

You have to submit your trade by 9/30/14.

Whenever you get your iPhone 6, you then receive the trade-in box by 7 days.

You have to return your old iPhone by 12/01.

They send you the $200 gift card 4-6 weeks later.

5. Arnezie, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I went to the Verizon store today with my wife's iPhone 4 and $200 bill credit instantly.

Attached Files:

6. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

I just chatted with Verizon and they said the amount has to be given in a gift card and can't be in the form of a credit on the bill. Is that incorrect?

7. apuddy macrumors newbie

Just traded in my wife's iPhone 4S for $200 in store. Hopefully I can answer a few questions that have come up here and in other forums:
    1. $200 was given in the form of a gift card handed directly to me. I then walked to the payment kiosk in the store and applied it to my account right away to pay towards future wireless bill. Account says -$200 balance already.
    2. You CAN still do the trade in even if you bought from Apple.com preorder, which is what I did. Many people have been told that you must buy directly from VZW, which simply isn't true.
    3. Evaluation of the 4S wasn't all that thorough, basically just made sure it turned on and was free of major defects. Mine had a few minor dents but nothing major. Then verified ESN of new iPhone 6 and I was good to go.
    4. This was really easy, took 10 min of my time. Nice!

8. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

Cool thanks! Looks like I just need to give them my 5S before the 30th, get my $300 GC, then try to find a 6 in the color and capacity I want from the first place I find one...

9. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Do you have to have the iPhone 6?

Mines doesn't ship until 10/10 but I want to trade it online. Can I just show them the confirmation page/order number? Is that enough?

10. apuddy macrumors newbie

That I'm not sure of. Someone posted in a thread somewhere that you can do the in-store trade in if you have an ESN issued for the new iPhone 6. I don't know when in the process you get that, is it on your invoice?

Biggest thing for VZW, I'm sure, is that they want you to activate your service and lock you in to a contract or EDGE. As a result, they may say that you have to have an activated phone before you can do the trade-in. The cutoff for the in-store trade in program is Sep 30th, though.

As for the mail in program, you can apply now, get your mailer package from them, and you can mail it in later. I will warn you, though, the internet is full of people saying they got screwed by VZW with the mail in program. I really liked the in-store trade in cause I could take my phone back and walk away if they tried any funny business.

----------

I think you'll have to do the iPhone 6 finding part first. I don't think you can do the iPhone trade-in promotion without a new, activated iPhone 6. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

11. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

That's the thing. Mines doesn't ship until 10/10 and I rather do it at my local Verizon store. I've also heard stories of VZW screwing over people with the mail-in program.

12. TristanPT macrumors member

Well I was just unsuccessful in trading my iPhone's at the local Verizon store for the $200 credit. They told me that in order to do the trade in and get an instant gift card you had to buy a phone right then. I told them that I had preordered mine through Verizon's website. They didn't care.

Oh well, I guess I'll try another Verizon store down the street.