Questions about VIDEO on the iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sounds Good, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Just a couple of questions about video on the iPhone 4, please:

I currently I have two video cameras, one dedicated (a Canon HF100) and one pocket (a Panasonic ZS3). Both record in AVCHD video with very good picture quality.

1. What video format does the iPhone 4 use, and how does it compare to the AVCHD video I'm used to with the Canon and Panasonic? I'm most concerned with picture quality, but also wondering about ease of editing, file size, etc. (I'm on a PC)

2. To play back video from my Canon or Panny cameras I just pop out the SD card, insert it into the PS3 and presto... it plays on the TV. How would I play back the iPhone's videos on my TV? What's the best and/or easiest way to do this?

Thanks! :)

2. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

3. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

@jmelan Read the post before replying.

@OP Video quality will never be as good as one on a dedicated video camera.

1. Not sure, sorry.
    2. Component or composite output cables into your TV. Plug and play. 480p or 576i quality only I believe. If you need the full 720p quality, you'll have to transfer the video into your PS3's HDD or your computer and play back from there.

Hope this helps.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I got this from a thread on Apple.com.

You'll have to compare that to your other camera. It takes gorgeous videos IMO (the phone).

Right now you'll need a cable to play videos. But come November and iOS 4.2 you'll be able to stream the videos straight to your tv with AirPlay if you have an AppleTV.

5. bassjunky macrumors regular

I also use my PS3 to play back video from my phone, though I have to copy the video files from my iP4 to PC first. I use TVersity running on my PC to share my media, but you should be able to put the files in any DNLA-shared folder.

From there, it's just a matter of browsing to your PC from your PS3 and hitting play. In addition, I'm quite impressed of the video quality the iP4 shoots, even when played on my 46" LED LCD.

6. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

I too have TVersity, but I use it for music (not video). I guess I'll have to play with it.

I won't lie, though... I'll miss being able to just pop out the SD card, click it into the PS3, and I'm done.