Questions about VMware Fusion 4!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by radiocity25, Oct 24, 2011.

1. radiocity25 macrumors member

I'm considering purchasing VMware Fusion 4 because I am tired of using Boot Camp. I have questions regarding it so if anyone can please clarify on them I would greatly appreciate it!

These are what I see so far...
    VMware: Benefits
    - one license lets you run it on multiple computers.
    - can use Boot Camp partition as a VM. Lets you access Windows within OSX and lets you leave it and reboot into Windows like Boot Camp.
    - Cost $50 for a limited time (end of 2011)

VMware: Cons
    - Everything needs to be reactivated when loading Boot Camp after using it in VMware; this occurs only once.

VMware: Questions
    - Can I run specific apps from Windows in OSX without needing to start up the VM?
    - When in full-screen mode, are resources being used differently than if in different modes?
    - Is Unity view similar to Parallel's way of running individual apps from Windows in OSX?
    - Will I get any of those markings on the all my icons like Parallels does?
    - There is full screen mode, one window mode, and Unity mode. Is Boot Camp still an option with this?
    - I am using a 2010 MBP with a 2.66 Core 2 Duo and 8GB of RAM, what would be the best way of splitting the resources to ensure smoothest operation in both OSes?
    - After I exit running VMware, will my resource all be allocated back to Mac?
    - Since Windows applications can be on Launchpad, does that mean they will also be in the Applications folder?
    - If I migrate my Boot Camp into VMware, will it no longer be accessible as a Boot Camp option?
    - How is uninstallation of VMware? Does it leave anything behind?
    - I have 8GB RAM total, when I run VMware inside OS X, I will split the RAM in half. Would I then need to install Windows 32-bit since I am using 4GB RAM for Windows? I already have Windows 64-bit installed though.

Thank you!

2. radiocity25 thread starter macrumors member

I know it's a lot of questions but I would really value anyone's feedback!

3. osxguy87 macrumors newbie

Some Answers

See my best effort answers below in BOLD

- Can I run specific apps from Windows in OSX without needing to start up the VM?
    No
    - When in full-screen mode, are resources being used differently than if in different modes?
    Not really, all modes run about the same
    - Is Unity view similar to Parallel's way of running individual apps from Windows in OSX?
    Yes, Unity hides the explorer.exe environment and just shows open apps
    - Will I get any of those markings on the all my icons like Parallels does?
    Not sure what you mean here
    - There is full screen mode, one window mode, and Unity mode. Is Boot Camp still an option with this?
    Yes
    - I am using a 2010 MBP with a 2.66 Core 2 Duo and 8GB of RAM, what would be the best way of splitting the resources to ensure smoothest operation in both OSes?
    Depends on the OS and what you plan to run on it. Everything can be adjusted after setup of the VM, so you can play around.
    - After I exit running VMware, will my resource all be allocated back to Mac?
    Yes
    - Since Windows applications can be on Launchpad, does that mean they will also be in the Applications folder?
    Not sure, never tried. I use the icon VMware places in the menu bar.
    - If I migrate my Boot Camp into VMware, will it no longer be accessible as a Boot Camp option?
    No, Boot Camp is still available.
    - How is uninstallation of VMware? Does it leave anything behind?
    Not sure, never had to uninstall it.
    - I have 8GB RAM total, when I run VMware inside OS X, I will split the RAM in half. Would I then need to install Windows 32-bit since I am using 4GB RAM for Windows? I already have Windows 64-bit installed though.
    No, you can install either, just a 32-bit OS will not address RAM above the 4GB cap. (Exception is Server OSes that can run PAE, but thats another topic.)

4. DougDingle macrumors newbie

The one question I CAN answer is the one about VMWARE removal: it leaves a CRAPLOAD of stuff behind, some of which may cause problems later on.

It apparently burrows so deeply into BOTH operating systems that complete removal is close to impossible, and it leaves active drivers and services running on the Windows side at least (I'm not familiar enough with the MAC OS to say).

I was remarkably disappointed at how poorly it uninstalls.

It also won't install if you sub-partition your Windows partition (ie. create two partitions on the Windows Bootcamp partition) as I found out much to my surprise.

I'm going to try Parallels next. Perhaps it won't be as obnoxious.

5. Phantom Gremlin macrumors regular

Are you talking about Fusion 4? I think it is improved in this regard (but I haven't tried it yet).

I'm sure it does "burrow". It needs to do that; what it accomplishes really is akin to rocket science.

You are correct. No matter what Fusion needs to do, if you want it gone then VMware should have a way to make it gone. However, that's only from a Mac perspective. My experience in the PC world is that programs invariably crap all over the file system and the registry. There is a thriving business in 3rd party uninstallation programs for Windows. Mac users are spoiled.

6. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I have a question. How do I turn on unity mode? After unity mode is on, do I have to share folders that I want on both Windows and OS X?

VMWare system requirements
    Any 64-*‐bit capable Intel® Mac. (Compatible with Core 2 Duo, Xeon, i3, i5, i7 processors or better)
    Minimum 2GB of RAM (4GB or more recommended)
    750MB free disk space for VMware Fusion and at least 5GB for each virtual machine
    Mac OS X 10.6.7 or later; OS X Lion recommended

I have a core i7 CPU
    4gb of RAM
    and ample hard drive space
    and I still find it takes a while to boot my windows partition. Any tips as to how to speed things up.

Attached Files: