Questions About Ways To Expand Storage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vince_Magik, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Vince_Magik macrumors newbie

Vince_Magik

Hi everyone!

I bought a refurbished 13 inch 2015 MacBook Pro 128GB in May of last year. I’m enjoying it pretty much beside for one thing: The storage.

128GB is fine for my everyday use as I don’t have too many pictures or softwares on it but I’d like to have Bootcamp with a Windows partition on it, which is impossible with a 128GB (I have about 35GB left with everything I need installed on it).

I looked online to see if there was any ways to gain space on my MacBook Pro.

As of today, I found 3 ways to expand my storage.

The first one is Tardisk SD card which doesn’t support BootCamp so I ignored that option.

The 2nd one is to buy a new SSD from companies such as OWC which would be the simplest and easiest way (also the more expensive one).

The last way I found would be with an M.2 PCIe like http://www.microsatacables.com/ngff-m2-pcie-ssd-card-as-2013-2014-2015-macbook-ssd-m2-1022-mac and to buy a regular/less expensive compatible SSD.

Every websites I looked on were mostly talking about buying a new SSD from OWC, only a few talked about that adapter I was talking in my 3rd option. Is this really working ? Has anyone tried it or know someone who did it ? Will I lose speed from using the adapter ?

Thanks a lot.

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

I believe you will lose speed no matter which option you go with. I believe your 2015 has the a 1.5GB/sec SSD (test it with BlackMagic). The ones from previous years are slower (0.7-0.5 GB/sec), as is the OWC. Have you looked for a used 2015 Apple SSD on eBay?

3. Vince_Magik thread starter macrumors newbie

Vince_Magik

I've tried but it's been hard. What should I look for ? Any ssd model I should look for ?

I've seen some for decent prices. I've also seen some for mac pro with a heatsink and the vendor told me that if your remove the heatsink, it's the same ssd so it would work too. Is that true ?

Thanks

4. jerryk macrumors 68030

Look for an SSD removed from a 2015 rMBP, or a new genuine Apple SSD for your system. Apple uses a proprietary interface to their SSD modules.

The other, more expensive, way to expand memory or SSD is do what most people do, buy a system with more memory or SSD. I treat MacBooks as completely non-upgradable and always over buy the specs.

5. Vince_Magik thread starter macrumors newbie

Vince_Magik