Questions about web design

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iOSWriter, Sep 1, 2011.

1. iOSWriter macrumors newbie

I have a friend who wants me to continue working on a site a pro designed started for him but didnt finish. I am used to using stuff like google sites and a wondering if it is possible to do it without knowing the hosting site he has it at alng with thenpassword and username? Can I just copy source and paste it to dreamweaver or iweb or goofle sites and rename it for him while finishing it?

Also he said he may be able to get me that info but even if I have it how wouls I be able to get the html file or work on it from a different app like dreamweaver vs it being created with something else? Would I just import the copynsource html file I would have to create? It just seems easier to make sites from scratch than finish another one so help would be appreciated.

2. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

3. iOSWriter thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to continue working on a site without knowing the host the site was hosted at or the app it was created with?

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

A website is composed of code of one sort or another, so it is possible to get the source and finish the site - although it can be confusing to jump into a project halfway through and get your bearings. And keep in mind building a website isn't the same as designing and building an iOS app (I see your username).

If you're working off the server, then yes, you'll need to have the host information to log in (or FTP authentication). If you're building locally and then letting him worry about uploading, it won't be a problem.

As far as what app it was made in, no, it shouldn't matter - to the extent the original developer did or did not use WYSIWYG apps, or borderline features thereof.

If the site uses Flash or some other plugin for any substantial portion, without the master files you won't be able to do it.

:)

5. iOSWriter thread starter macrumors newbie

So how would I get into someone elss site to start editing it without an html file? Also would I be qble to export any html file into iWeb and work from iWeb and save it directly on that original ftp server? Are html files compatible across ooperating system apps?

6. ethical macrumors 68000

HTML files are just plain text files, with .html as the extension. So yes, they are compatible across operating systems (and apps)

If you go to the site and use something like Google Chrome's 'Inspect Element' feature, then on to 'Resources' at the top you can view all html files and style sheets. Save these files in exactly the same framework as they are set up currently - i.e. if the stylesheets are all inside a folder called css, make sure you save them in a folder called css when you're working on your own computer, otherwise you'll have to change the link in the html files. Then just go to work finishing the site.

Next time try asking your question in the Web Design and Development sub-forum, you'll likely get more responses than in here. http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I code by hand and have never used iWeb, so I can't say whether it would let you import any HTML file and start editing it. I wouldn't imagine it would be a huge success... iWeb is made for weekend developers and won't have any advanced features (maybe I'm wrong; I've never used it). WYSIWYG editors like to add a lot of their own proprietary tags (which lets the app handle it better but wastes bandwidth and contributes to bloat); A plain HTML file wouldn't have these tags, but if it was already developed in one of them you should be able to just open it (in the same app) and go.

Again, saving it to the original server won't be possible unless your friend provides you with authentication.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Basically, no it won't be possible without the authentication.

You won't have nearly all of the project files by just right clicking -> View source. All you'll have is the main index.html file.

You'll need to log in to the server and download the whole project files (I'd assume since it's a professional developer, there's some javascript files, some css files, and some html files). Then, you can use any text-editor of your choice to view it, on any operating system- be it a variant of linux, OS X, or Windows. I'm sure even Chrome OS has a text editor, but I haven't ever used it, so *have no idea*. On Windows, you have Notepad, on OS X you have TextEdit. I know on Ubuntu there's Gedit, but I don't know about any other Linux variant.

9. iOSWriter, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

iOSWriter thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok here are some more questions. I created a small mini site with Google sites but am wondering if I wang to play with it further could I view wource and save the index.html and open it with Dreamweaver? Or would I have to recreate the entire site? Google sites is limited in the sense I want the logo to be wider, there is a lot of white space on the right side of it except in mobile browsers. Also the images lign up differently depending on browser.

Also, he did give me the password to his main site he wants me to help him with that someone else started for hum. It wqs originall hosted on GoDaddy then on Webstarts. One may be the osting and the other the domain purchase. Anyway he gqve me both sets of passwords, but on every ftp app I used, I could not connect. I was not sure whhat to put in the domain hosting field -- just www.webstarts.com or ftp://webstarts.com? But neither work, nor did Godaddy. But I tried connecting to do daddy to the control panel on the site (not ftp) with the username and password -- and that said work. I just dont have access to the html file and hosting servuce with iages, etc. From the server. I tried WinSCP and Fugu and neither worked. I have both a Mac and Windows PC.

Anyone help? How do I connect to an ftp?

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You connect to an ftp server by using an ftp client.

You can use Cyberduck on Mac, or WinSCP on Windows.

11. iOSWriter thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that, but it never works for me -- it just keeps loading and freezes. What do I put in the host name for webstarts or go daddy? Is it www.godaddy.com or what?

12. iOSWriter thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I found out it says not hosted here on Godaddy, but I am guessing the domain name was purchased there and there is still an account there. On Webstarts I was also able to log in fron the website front page, and went to the editor directly, but it appears an old revision of the website was there. It did not look like the current version that is displayed when going to the site. Also, I coukdnt figure out ow to add pages in that editor. Can anyone help?

13. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I don't mean to be rude, but it sounds like you might be in over your head... just a bit. :)

FTP can be confusing if you're new to it. You'll need to either have someone look over your shoulder and direct you as you go, or trust someone here (or somewhere else) to log in and check it out, then explain it for you.

Can you screen capture the part of the process where you're having trouble?

14. iOSWriter thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok Ill do that or post a video of what im doing.

15. iOSWriter thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok here are the screenshots:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/59154387@N06/sets/72157627534991699/

I used the ftp program fetch to try logging in with both ftp.url and www.url and I get these kinds of errors. Note I tried the same passwords and usernames given to me to access the websites of www.webstarts.com and www.godaddy.com so they do work, is it possible the username/passwords for the actual sites' control panels and the ftp file locations are seperated? When I try logging into the godaddy and webstarts on-page based design software it is also either blank templates or (webstarts) an old and different version of the same site the guy who previously worked on it must have changed.

How do I log into these ftp files or edit them directly from webstarts or godaddy?

16. iOSWriter thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I got to the editor on webstarts and he wants me to just continue with that one. ANd on the upper right it says that the link to the site is www.url.com but when I click on it after publishing and editing the site, the old one still shows up. The new one that I edit is located at www.url.webstarts.com. How do I change the godaddy one to this one when both have the domain set up as www.url.com? I was thinking I have to transfer registrar right? Or do I just have to transfer host? I still cant access the files from the one that shows up on GoDaddy.

http://www.topwebhosts.org/resources/domain-name-transfer.php

WHen I click on add domain on webstarts it just says the domain is unavailable. I dont want that .webstarts to be part of the url. On whois.com it says registrar is godaddy and nameserver is ns1.bluehost.com. Again, on the godaddy editor its a blank slate.