Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Hi,

I'm thinking about purchasing an iPod touch as I think it might have the potential to be a great travel aid - and not just for the obvious music and video playback!

I've checked the iPod section on the Apple website and can't find the answer to a few questions, so I'm turning to my ever reliable fellow MacRumors users for help.

1. Does the iPod touch have flight mode?
  2. Is it possible to use the mail.app to write draft emails?
  3. Can a touch be used as an external drive to backup photos from a digital camera?

Also, a general query: has anybody used Safari on a touch or iPhone to write blog entries? If so what was the experience like?

Thanks, Andrew. :)

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
1. Not under that name, but turning wifi off essentially accomplishes the same thing.
2. Yes.
3. No, you can just sync them to the device, not from it. The photos get scaled down, as well. And there's no disc mode right now, either.

big-blue-wolf

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
15.8 miles from Molineux
The touch doesn't have a flight mode. You can turn the wifi on and off whenever you want.

In Mail you can compose an email then press "cancel" and you get the option to save or discard the message. Saved messages go into a "Drafts" folder.

There is no "disk mode" available with the touch out of the box but there may be if you jailbreak it.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

flight mode is for the iPhone, but toggling the wifi accomplishes the same thing.

And there are apps for disc mode, but you have to pay

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for the replies.

I think that I may be purchasing a touch before my next bout of travels, I'll just pack an extra SD card for my camera!

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.