Questions about winterboard

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ajohnson253, May 25, 2010.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I have a jailbroken iPhone with winterboard installed. I don't really so much with it at all. I read people stating that winterboard drains battery. Is this true? If so what is the actual cause of it, why does it drain? I haven't noticed any extra battery drain since jailbroken and winterboard.

2. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

its not so much having winterboard, but using winterboard which drains more power.

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

A lot of it depends on the themes you have installed. I think doing some of the basic stuff, like wallpaper or removing app names wouldn't use a lot of power, but using live wallpapers really suck it down. I had a clock wallpaper on my 3G installed and it killed the battery.

4. jfan16 macrumors newbie

Winterboard shouldn't kill your battery much like the people above me have said. It's got the optimize option now to make your themes more like the native iphone PNG's which should help your battery and any memory leak that you may be experiencing.

5. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

So it pretty much just depends on what youre using with winterboard. I only use no page dots, no docked icon labels. Downloaded some themes. I don't even use those though. Im assuming some individuals use plenty of add ons with is doing the battery drain. Thanks guys, kind of figured that just wanted some back-up.

6. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

As said above WinterBoard has the likely ability to definitely change your battery life, nothing major, but something that has been said is that more complex themes allow for more battery life, however if you don't need a use for apps like LockScreen Info, and LiveClock and such then after downloading or SSHing your themes and optimizing them your battery should be maybe 1/10 less then normal.

7. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

You're posting the weirdest things :rolleyes: more complex themes give MORE battery life? Lockscreen Info doesn't need winterboard. and ssh'ing themes will reduce battery life "1/10"?

8. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

Sorry wasn't paying attention whatsoever. More complex themes will take away more battery life. Some people have said that turning off SSH with SBSettings can add battery life. By LockInfo I mean the SB Widgets that Winterboard uses. If that clears most of that up sorry for the bad post earlier.

After optimizing your themes you battery life is about 1/10th of the Stock Battery Life (With Winterboard Only that is)