Questions and Confusion Regarding Touch Refurb OS Upgrade Issues

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by knemonic, Sep 10, 2009.

1. knemonic macrumors 6502a

Alright, check out this conversation I just had with an apple rep. I am thinking about getting a ipod touch 8gb refurbished since it is a good price. I was really hoping they were going to at least put the compass on the new ones yesterday but I was annoyed to say the least, like everyone else (I just moved to Chicago and a compass on the touch would have helped, a lot).

Anyway, I was really confused since the site does a poor job of informing you of which OS version on the touch refurbs come with.

I am interested in purchasing a refurbished ipod touch. I was curious if it possible to find out which version of OS it has on it I am interested in the 2nd gen 8gb model

It includes the 2.2software and you can update to the 3.0 software through iTunes.

That means I will be charged an additional 9.95 if it has the 2.2 to upgrade to the 3.1 then? That seams unfair. Your not really saving $50 off the new price of the 8gb ipod touch, your really only saving $40

Well it will upgrade to 3.0 for $9.95 and 3.1 is $4.95.

I read that if you already have the 3.0, then the 3.1 upgrade is free, also steve jobs said it was free in your media event yesterday.
    I am also curious about this link:
    http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/software-update.html
    It states all ipod touches come with the 3.1 software purchased after 09/09/09. All is a broad term and includes refurbished models I would presume.

You will pay $4.95 for the update to 3.1 from a refurbished iPod that has version 2 software. Refurbished iPods are not being shipped with 3.1, that only applies to new iPods.

That sure seems misleading. Also, like I said earlier, Steve Jobs, in his speech yesterday at your media event said the 3.1 update is free if you have the 3.0 os version It sounds like there is a lot of problems in terms of what is really supposed to be happenening with this OS stuff

Technically you would not have 3.0 already having a refurbished iPod touch as they ship with 2.0 installed. The update will go directly from 2.0 to 3.1 costing $4.95 to you.

I find that hard to beleive. I had a ipod touch a few months back and they charged me $9.95 to go from 2 to 3. I find it hard to beleive I will only be charged 4.95 to go straight to 3.1 Regardless and frankly, your store is promoting false advertising since you assume you can do everything the new touch does for a reduced price when in fact you are faced with purchasing more software upgrades to use the currently promoted functionality

How would you feel if you got a new iMac and found you had to pay an additional $29 to upgrade to Snow Leopard, when the site you purchased it from neither stated it came with or without the new version

That is not the case with Snow Leopard.

I am talking hypothetically

All those who purchased June 8th or after receive Snow Leopard free paying for shipping only.

Well I am not at liberty to voice my opinion.
    I would like to help you understand product information that is on our site.

No offense to you, but I will probably call apple on the phone. I have had better luck with them over the phone. This is something that needs to rememdied since your site is inaccuarte and not informing us at all. It implies you get the same thing for a reduced price and does not menition at all the need to upgrade once you get the refurbished model on the site

The new version comes with 3.1. The refurbished does not. Near the refurbished product the information about upgrading is listed there with the iPod so that you will know that a software update is required.

I was possibly going to purchase the touch tonight, but now I am pretty unsure because the price is not what I thought it would be. It is not worth it if I need to do all these upgrades and no offence, I don't trust what you say that it will only be $5 to go from 2.2 to 3.1

It is confirmed that the software update cost is actually only 4.95.
    It has been reduced in cost from the previous 9.95 for the first 3.0 software update.
    The 3.0 software update is no longer available and the refurbished iPod specification page is incorrect therefore leading to the confusion.
    That issue has been noted and will be handled from our end.
    So, in short if you purchase the 2nd generation iPod touch refurbished, it will ship with 2.0 software.
    Upon syncing it will ask you if you want to upgrade to 3.1, when you select yes it will update and bill you $4.95.

Thats funny, so everyone that bought 3.0 could of waited and got 3.1 for 4.95, saving 50%?

I am curious, why isnt there a section on the refurbished pages that sates which version of the OS it ships with? Seems extremely relevent information considering in this case, your really not getting the touch for $150 compared to the new version, you really have to pay $155

Good question, I do not have that answer.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    So loooong. I got lost with who was who. :eek: It sounds like the Rep didn't know what to say though. :rolleyes:

3. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems fishy they claim that they will only charge me $5 to go to 3.1, when in the past they were charging $10 to go to 3.0.

I myself had a touch at the time they came out with 3.0, bought it for $10. I then sold my touch because I was so disappointed in the bluetooth compatibly with my sony bluetooth headphones.

Now, I am back in school, I could use the ical google syncing service, email and to do list functionality for my classes. But with all this confusion with OSs, upgrade fees, and such, I am a little annoyed because you think your paying $150 and you in fact possibly paying $155 or even $165, depending on who is right.

What do you all think?

4. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Everyone line is someone new talking. Forgot to mention that.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The price on the update dropped to $4.95. So it's $5 more after you get the refurb, not $10.

I bought my refurb after 3.0 came out And still had to pay. Which stunk and I only did it to fix the wifi issue I was having.

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Fishy maybe, but true nonetheless. Indeed, you could go directly from 1.1 to 3.1 for the same $5.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Then you already have 3.0, so you don't have to buy it again. If you do get a Touch that comes with 2.x, you should be able to redownload 3.x for free.

8. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

That raises a good question then: If you have a touch with 2.x, can you upgrade to 3.0 without paying for it? Or to get 3.0 you must pay for 3.1 ($4.95)?

Honestly, in terms of features, what was the big upgrade to 3.1 for $4.95? All I could see was the genius mix and app recommendations. Seems like a lot of money for little feature additions. I remember from 1.0 to 2.0, you got the App Store, for $9.95, that was a big upgrade. From 3.0 to 3.1, half the price yet just genius bar stuff? Not big imho.

I might end up buying the 2g refurb 8gb. Maybe I will be able to upgrade to just 3.0 without paying the $4.95.

Here is another one, is there any difference between the 2g 8gb and the "updated" 8gb touch? Hardware wise? I mean, for $50 more than the refurb, is all I am getting is a new product, nothing more (and the latest OS that is)?

They did the tear down of the new 32gb which has new hardware, but no one seems to be talking about the updated 8gb model, even though it is not categorized as a 2g, it has a new scheme of something like 2009fall. So is there any benefit of buying the new 8gb for $200 over the refurb 8gb for $150, besides the OS update?

Later!

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you want older firmware, just download from here. No need to pay.
    http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The upgrade is priced as follows now....

1.0->3.1 = $4.95

2.0->3.1 = $4.95

3.0->3.1.1 = FREE

That help? I don't think there was any upgrade to the 8 aside from the oa version.