Questions and damage...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TAYYFACE, Feb 20, 2009.

1. TAYYFACE macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I received a brand new white MacBook last christmas. It has only been a year, and it's starting to become physically damaged. I'm incredibly careful with it, but all around the edges the lining is peeling, and I can see through small slits down under the keyboard. It's peeling like that in three places, even though I'm very careful, and have never even dropped it. My dad suggested I take it into the Apple store, any suggestions on what they'd say or do?

Thanks! I'm sort of bad at explaining things like this, sorry.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The polycarbonate MacBook is known to crack and stuff, I would take it in and tell them your issue; they may either fix it or replace it.

3. TAYYFACE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! :) I figured that was what should be done, I just wanted a second opinion!

I'm also thinking that when I replace the MacBook, because it's becoming an inconvenience to be so... limited as to what programs I can install without having to pay $200 (such as Microsoft Office, ugh), that I might just sell the new one if they replace it. That's another issue altogether, though.

4. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

How is this different from any computer?

5. TAYYFACE thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I suppose I'm just more of a Windows user. The Mac has been great, really, but at school I was having problems with presentations and such because I didn't have Microsoft Word or Powerpoint or anything, so I had to go out and spend 200 dollars on something that comes equipped on a Windows computer. It just seemed unnecessarily expensive, and I didn't realize how expensive software and accessories for Macs really are. That's just my own opinion, though.

6. isaki87 macrumors regular

I doubt that is true, Word does not come equipped with every windows computer. I believe that you have to either have it pre installed, or purchase it and install it yourself. Thats how it is since I started purchasing computers.

7. TAYYFACE thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, either way, it doesn't cost nearly as much, and can be included in the price of the computer when you buy it.

8. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

where do you go to school? If you are in college you don't need to pay full price for software most of the time. I go to the university of Iowa and got office 2008 last year for $8.50 through the bookstore. I also got Leopard for $34.50 :D paying out the butt for tuition has a few perks

9. TAYYFACE thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm currently only in high school right now, college is in September. It will have been redundant by then though, lol, since I've already paid. But I'm thinking of just buying a Windows PC, and selling this one, since Windows is more convenient for me. All the programs I used to run before I got the Mac can't run, because they're .exe files, and I would like to be able to run them again -- it just makes sense for me, personally, to have a Windows computer.

10. Camoischaos macrumors member

11. TAYYFACE thread starter macrumors newbie

I suppose that's true. Either way, Windows is the premium OS for me. I know you can run it through boot camp, but unfortunately I don't have any installation disks for any Windows operating systems. Grr. Anyway, that would belong in a different forum though.

12. isaki87 macrumors regular

what is the configuration of your macbook?

13. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

You could just use OpenOffice - I have both MS Office 2008 (edu discount) and OpenOffice but if you need all those other exe programs then Windows seems for you.