questions before buying a mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by babyt, Aug 17, 2009.

1. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

ok hello :)
    i have finally taken the 'plunge' and ive decided to become a macgirl :D
    never owned a mac before but im excited by all the fantastic reviews

the main reason im switching is because i need a laptop to last me a few years or more [at least 3]. and at the begining of last year [september] i bought a white sony vaio. http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Sony_VAIO_R_VGN_NR260EW_15_4_Notebook_Silk_White
    well its lasted me a whole 11 months but its crap. totall crap
    and definitely will not last another year in my arms. [plus its the devil to clean]
    so my friend had the middle 08 white book and its ok. but i was looking at getting the MacBook Pro 13', 2.26 GHz, upgrade the 2gb memory to a 4gb, and upgrading to a 250gb hardrive

the questions i have are
    1. first [and main question]
    should i look at getting a refurb? are teh of teh same quality? or a little less
    do they look and act 'used'
    I want to get mobile me, [maybe iworks? i am in college] and the three year warranty, which you can get discounted with a brand new mac.
    i have been looking at this refurb and wondering if its worth getting over a brand new machttp://store.apple.com/us/product/FB991LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA:confused:
    sorry if that question sounds stupid, but for the amount of $$ im shilling out for this bad baby i want to do everything right.

2. [if i go brand new mac] do i really need a 4gb memory? im going to be doing school work, playing the sims 3 and spore. and maybe getting apperture. not sure yet and i wont be doing all tjhis at the same time.

3. also non mac question but. im looking for a cute laptop PURSE under 100$ preferably even less. i like the coach ones but im not ready to shell out 400$ for a purse alone..;)

thanks !!!!:apple:

o and sorry i just realized i was in the wrong forum when i posted this

2. Vaath macrumors newbie

Had a couple refurb macs in the past. Honestly if you hadn't told me they were refurb I would not have noticed. Also recently my father bought an MBP refurb and it was in perfect condition. Like someone literally opened the box, looked at it then sent it back to apple without even using it at all!

So I would say you are safe with a refurb, saves money for some ram and hardrive :D

Also apple inspects it again thoroughly before it is put up for sale, so some would say it's "better" than new because it's already been checked out.

3. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Refurbs are good, but if you're a student you can get a similar or greater discount and get the newest hardware, plus the free ipod/printer deal.