Questions before buying

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by creeman, Jul 7, 2010.

1. creeman macrumors 6502

So I plan on buying a 15 inch mbp in the next couple of weeks, but I had a few questions before I do. I want to have a ssd for Mac os and applications, and a 750 or 1tb drive for everything else. Question is, should I order tr mbp with the Apple installed ssd and put the hdd in the optibay? Or should I buy another ssd instead? Also, which location is better for the hdd. The hard drive slot or the optibay, or does it matter? And can you boot off the drive in the optibay slot??

2. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Lookie here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=680228&highlight=mce

I read through the entire 36 pages without asking a single question since they were all eventually answered somewhere in the thread.

As for ordering an SSD, I recommend buying your own to save money, and to get the best product for your needs. If you can live with 60-64Gb, the Kingston is really cheap right now ($115 CDN!), and of course, you have the usual Indilinx controller drives from Corsair and OCZ.

3. creeman thread starter macrumors 6502

How does buying my own save me money? Upgrading to a 128 GB SSD is only $180. You cant find a 128 SSD anywhere for that price.

4. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Yea but if you buy it yourself you'll get to keep the one that comes stock as a backup.

5. creeman thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont really see my SSD failing or any other reason to have a backup. Are other SSDs that much better than the Apple supplied one to spend a couple hundred of dollars extra on one?

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

ssd's fail....you will want a backup for sure.

7. creeman thread starter macrumors 6502

So you're saying my best bet is to buy the MBP with the Apple supplied SSD, but also buy another SSD? How does the one apple provides compare to the other drives?

8. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Yes, even if the SSD never fails, you should still back up stuff just in case

1. you accidentally delete, overwrite an important file (s)
    2. your OS gets screwed up.

Spend that $180 to get a Corsair, Intel, Kingston, OCZ, etc., and use the stock HDD for back-up.

9. karohan macrumors 6502

It would be worth it for you to get the stock HDD (not the SSD) and then buy another SSD separately. Then different HDDs will have different settings in terms of shock protection (regarding Sudden Motion Sensors). If you have the stock hard drive, I would keep that in the HDD bay and put the SSD in the optibay and disable hibernate to use the sleep option.
    Doing this should save you money and probably more importantly give you much better performance. Apple's SSDs are pretty crappy compared to ones you can buy yourself.