Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewhl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2014
I'm thinking about getting a refurbished iPad mini 2.

My questions are :

1) If it is still somehow running iOS 7.1.2 is that version more stable / less buggy than the current iOS 8.1 version for iPad mini 2 or does it make no real difference? (I'd assume iOS 7.1.2 is much more stable similar to on the iPhone)

2) If there are bugs in the software for either 8.1 or 7.1.2 I should know about what exactly are they? (Please specify which version the bug applies to)

Thanks in advance!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't think you need to worry too much about it. I'm using 8.1 on two iPad Mini 2's and I don't have any issues with them.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I'm thinking about getting a refurbished iPad mini 2.

My questions are :

1) If it is still somehow running iOS 7.1.2 is that version more stable / less buggy than the current iOS 8.1 version for iPad mini 2 or does it make no real difference? (I'd assume iOS 7.1.2 is much more stable similar to on the iPhone)

2) If there are bugs in the software for either 8.1 or 7.1.2 I should know about what exactly are they? (Please specify which version the bug applies to)

Thanks in advance!

You're worrying unnecessarily about these things. A refurbed iPad will be fine regardless of the version of iOS

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
I bought and immediately returned a refurbished iPad Mini 2 last week. There was so much dust between the glass and the screen that I couldn't believe they'd actually send it. That put me off the refurb program for life. You'll save more money if you wait for the Target Black Friday sale in a couple weeks and you'll also end up with a new unit.

wrobles70

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
I bought a refurb mini2 about 2-3 weeks ago, promptly upgraded to 8.1 and couldn't be happier/more impressed with the quality of the device.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Actually, a refurb running iOS 8 is the preferred choice as you have a 14 day window with Apple to return it. You can test drive iOS 8 and if you are unhappy with the performance, just send it back. It's much better than receiving an iPad with iOS 7, upgrading and finding out you don't like iOS 8 and now you can't go back to 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.