Questions before I jailbreak myiPhone 3GS with BlackRa1n

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Knifey-Spoony, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Knifey-Spoony macrumors member

Hi, I've read a couple posts and sites about jailbreaking an iPhone 3GS that I would like it if I could get a couple questions answered before I actually do it.
    Question 1: I heard that if you have an iPhone 3GS with iBoot-359.3.2, that if you jailbreak it with Blackra1n and turn off your iPhone it is stuck in recovery mode, is this true?
    Question 2: I heard if you purchased your iPhone 3GS in the summer, your iPhone won't have iBoot-359.3.2. Is this ture?
    Question 3: If this is the case then does that man if I turn off my phone it won't be stuck in recovery mode?
    Question 4: Also with my old iPhone when i jailbroke it with pwnage tool, it did a factory reset, if I use Blackra1n will the same thing happen?

Cheers :apple:

2. daveb1983 macrumors newbie

Your first statement is true to an extent, if you do have the new iboot then you will have a teathered jailbreak but your phone will never be 'stuck' in recovery mode, however you will need a computer to run blackra1n again if your phone ever turns off/runs out of battery as it cannot boot on its own, a pain if your on the go but otherwise ok if you charge it up everynight.

To find out if this will effect you, go to settings, general, then about and look at your serial number you will see it starts with 5 numbers. Ignore the 1st 3 and the next two will show u the release week of your phone. If its less than 40 e.g. 86935 then you will be ok. if it's between 40-45 if can be either/or but if is over 45 then it will be teathered.

Also if you did buy it in the summer you will be fine and will only need to run blackra1n once and u can use ur phone normally.

Lastly Blackra1n doesnt delete any settings or data on your phone, so whatever was there before you use it e.g apps, text messages, photos etc, they will all be there after.
    Always remember if you jailbreak and find out that it is teatherd and dont like it, you can always restore your phone with itunes to exatly how it was before the jailbreak, so you can't really lose!
    Hope this helps

3. Knifey-Spoony thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks for the reply dave, thankfully the 2 numbers on mine are 25. I don't know if I would have jailbroke my phone if I would have to tether jailbreak my phone everytime I turn it off. Also say if I jailbreak my phone and apple releases a firmware update and I upgrade does it just upgrade and unjailbreaks my phone as if it was never jailbroken? Nothing crazy like bricking it will happen if I upgrade the firmware right?

Cheers:apple:

4. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Exactly, if you take the firmware upgrade (new iPhone ipsw file), you will lose your jailbreak. No bricking, just the potential that you won't be able to jailbreak again until a new exploit is discovered. If you use pwnage tool, you can always upgrade to a new "pwned" firmware as soon as the Dev Team updates the tool for the latest firmware.

5. daveb1983 macrumors newbie

Glad to hear it! i had a week 40 so was very lucky to get an unteathered jailbreak!
    If you upgrade the firmware via iTunes you will lose your jailbreak (and unlock if you have one), this will never harm your phone in any way it just means you will have to re-jailbreak it.
    Always hold off if apple release a new firmware before upgrading, just read a few forums first and make sure ur jailbreak method will still work with the updated firmware, there'd be nothing worse than to upgrade and not be able to jailbreak again, im failrly sure this couldnt happ, tho better safe than sorry.
    One other thing to bare in mind is that updating the firmware will erase all of your jailbroken apps too (the ones downloaded from cydia/rock), you can either download them all one by one again after you re-jailbreak (a pain if you have loads) or you can use backup apps from cydia. I use PKGbackup and it works really well when ive needed to restore in the past, just remember to sync and back up with itunes frequently
    Hope this helps

6. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I must be one of the very lucky one's, my 3GS is xxx43 serial number and it has a standard JB. Seems to be luck of the draw, a friend got a o2 upgrade last week and it was also a normal untethered JB.

7. Knifey-Spoony thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, I'm gonna jailbreak my iPhone tonight, one last thing I have firmware 3.0, should I jailbreak first then upgrade or upgrade first?
    Cheers :apple:

8. daveb1983 macrumors newbie

definatley upgrade first, then jailbreak :)
    Good luck, btw are you going to use blackra1n RC3?

9. Knifey-Spoony thread starter macrumors member

Yup, do you suggest for me to use another build of blackra1n?

10. daveb1983 macrumors newbie

Nope, thats the most recent version and what i've always used and never had a problem. Some people have had trouble with older versions but if your using this then all will be ok
    Hope all goes well

11. bengtc macrumors regular

Just jailbroke my 3gs 25 week old phone a couple days ago with blackra1n. Everything went smoothly!

12. marti74f macrumors newbie

tether to untether?

I just jailbroke my phone yesterday and I have a serial number with the last two digits of 46, so obviously it is tethered. Is there anyway to make it so it can be untethered?

13. marti74f macrumors newbie

Nevermind, did a little bit more reading and figured it out.

14. scaleman1998 macrumors newbie

Ok so Im new to the world of iPhones, I want to jailbreak my phone which is a 8GB 3G just ordered it a day ago and have not even received it yet. I am going to use blackra1n (unless you have a better option) with a pc, do I have to worry about a tethered jailbreak does the serial # as described in this forum relate to my phone or just the 3GS? I am assuming it is going to have the latest firmware installed in it. but I cant confirm that. Any help or advice would be great.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The tethered jailbreak applies only to the newest 3GSes and to the iPod Touch 3.

16. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I remember reading something about hackers being able to get into your phone if it's jailbroken. is that still possible? how would i stop that from happening. I don't remember how to do it unfortunately.

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you have OpenSSH installed, change your root & mobile passwords

18. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

Oh right, that's uhh being able to transfer files from your computer to your iPhone via WiFi. OpenSSH is not installed when I install Cydia right? If it is, I can uninstall it? I have no need for OpenSSH

19. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Thats up to you.

I use it every day to modify my phone.

20. Knifey-Spoony thread starter macrumors member

Okay my jailbreak went super smooth, not one problem. I was wondering if anyone knew any jailbroken apps that offer similar features to the Find My iPhone feature that requires a MobileMe account. To the best of my knowledge, no app in the app store offers this feature.

21. critic81 macrumors regular

For Find my iPhone features, download Cerebro. It's pretty good!