Questions before I pick up a PS3:

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by irbdavid, Nov 7, 2007.

1. irbdavid macrumors regular

irbdavid

Looking to pick up a PS3 in the next few days, just like to get a few questions answered first:

i) 40GB or 60GB? I want the quietist, which supposedly is the 40GB. Backwards compatibility is not an issue for me, and it's marginally cheaper. Is this a good decision?

ii) What's the best way to play divx/.avi/.mpg video files on the PS3 - do they have to be reconverted, or is there a codec pack ala Perian to be had?

iii) If you attach an external HDD to the PS3 - are there limits as to what you can and can't store on it, e.g. demos etc? Anything that could be stored on the internal can be stored on the external?

iv) USB hubs work?

v) Best driving game out so far? :D

Cheers, Dave.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

1. Go for the 40....60, 80 and the 40s are really quiet...I think the 80 is bundled so you might want to check that out.

2. Can't help you there..sorry man

3. I don't think you can load demos form the external(someone correct me if I'm wrong) but music, photos, movies should be fine and yes demos will work on the internal.

4. USB hubs will work.

5. I'm not really into driving games but maybe F1 will fill your void until something else is out.

Also check out Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Oblivion, Ratchet n Clant Future, Resistance.

Bless

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Is there a difference between 40/60/80 volume wise ?

My 60 is deadly quiet. You'd barely know it was on.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

the 40 uses 60w less of power and the fans are apparently 30% quieter.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wow seriously. Damn that would be a nightmare for me, I'd forget it was on and end up using more energy overall :D

Good on you Sony though in all seriousness. But is there any reason really why the 40 requires less energy ? and a cooler/quieter fan ? There's not that much hardware difference is there ?

6. irbdavid thread starter macrumors regular

irbdavid

I don't think that the 80s are available in the UK. Thanks for the replies :D

Does anyone know about the whole divx thing though, that's kind of a key reason for wanting one - as a sort of media-centre type thing. I see a few transcoding type things online though, so I guess it's possible that way. Surely you should just be able to drop a codec in somewhere though and dodge the transcoding thing altogether though...

7. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I have a 60GB its really quiet! I have 9 games and it still stays quiet no matter which game and I got COD4 today!