Questions before I take the plunge

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Crotonmark, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Crotonmark macrumors regular

I hope you don't mind addressing some concerns I have before I upgrade from SL to Lion. Reading the forum and knowing my iMack (late 2009 - i7, 8GB RAM) usage here are my concerns:

1 - Does bootcamp work? I used the SL bootcamp assistant to create a partition and installed Windows 7 SP1 and Quicken for Windows. What, if anything, will I need to do to "make this work (i.e. access windows via Lion bootcamp). Some posters are saying they no longer can access windows via bootcamp

2 - External drives. I have a G-Drive on the Mac side for time machine and a "My Book" that I use for backing up Quicken. Some posters report Lion doesn't see their external drives. Is this really an issue?

3 - Magic Mouse vs. Trackpad - Does Lion only work well with a trackpad? I shudder to think I have to teach myself how to use a trackpad - if I can get away with the mouse I might prefer it.

TIA everyone

Mark

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

1 - I could not install Lion at all with my Bootcamp partition ("Could not create restore partition"). I removed the Bootcamp partition on that mac and was fine. Others have said that they had problems running Windows after a Lion install. If Bootcamp is important to you, you should check into this more.

2 - No problems here with any of my USB or Firewire external drives.

3 - Lion is really optimized for a trackpad, but you can certainly continue to use a mouse. I use a Magic Mouse without any problems, but I may get a trackpad in the future.