Questions before jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by TheBattleOx, Nov 11, 2008.

1. TheBattleOx macrumors newbie

hello, I have a first ten iPod touch, before the 2.1 update my iPod was jailbroken. Once the update came out, a friend of mine told me that if I tried to get this update on a jailbroken iPod my iPod would get corrupted. I recently came back to this form to see that people have jailbroken a 2.1 iPod, so I have some questions.

If I jailbreak my 2.1 iPod, can I still use all my purchased apps and will the app store be fully functional.

Also, when feature firmware updates for the iPod touch are released can I download these or will I have to wait till someone finds some hack to ensure nothing will get corrupted.

2. Reily macrumors newbie

Reily

I'm not positive, but I think that you can use App store apps with Installer or Cydia apps. It depends how much money you already spent on the apps that determines whether or not you should do it. And even if you did spend a lot of money, Cydia and Installer have basically all the Apps in the App store and more, plus they're free, so...

3. asskick3r macrumors regular

asskick3r

Yes. You can.
    Works like a charm!
    If anything happens along the way ... just restore and try again!

4. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

Yep. Quickpwn did it for me in 5 mins and i didnt even have to restore.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

Your friend is wrongly informed. When you update to 2.1 you will loose all data on the iPod and resync when updated, if you choose to use quickpwn you can just go ahead and sync then use this to jailbreak and you will still have all your music and apps on the ipod along with cydia (stay away from installer its one big buggy mama of a app)

purchased apps will work fine once jailbroken

you will be able to download and update your ipod once 2.1 is installed upto the point where apple turn round and go we have another paid for update for you. The downside is you will have to restore the iPod then re-jailbreak and sync music apps and re-install any cydia apps with future updates as per previous updates.