Questions before purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dose13, Sep 30, 2014.

1. dose13 macrumors newbie

Hello.

I am moving abroad in a couple of months and I am going to buy a new laptop. I am very interested in the MacBook Pro 15" Retina for various reasons. I have though 3 major concerns.

1. I never had an Apple computer and because I use Android Phone/Tablet (Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and pre ordered Galaxy Note 4) I want to know if there is any compatibily issues. I mean Samsung KIES sucks but in times of major updates I use it cause its faster.

2. Although I will have the laptop for work/multimedia there are some games I like (a few because I have a PS4 but still). Will the GTX750 allow me to play games like World of Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo III with Full settings and no lag (I dont care about Retina resolutions in-game just be high setting in 1080p)

3. Is there site to offer advices about alternatives to windows programs? For example I use a lot the BS Player for the auto download of subs. Is there something similar on MacOS?

4. I will buy the laptop early January. Do we know about any upgrades on hardware so I wait?

Thanks for any answers

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

While I don't have an Android device, Android does provide software to manage your device that's written for the Mac.

The current rMBP's will play games just fine. If you're getting it solely to play games, you're wasting your money. A Mac is better used for creative type stuff.

As to BS Player, keep in mind that the rMBP don't include a DVD drive. CD's and DVD's are slowly going the way of VHS. OS X includes Quicktime, which basically plays just about everything.

Updates to the Intel Broadwell chip aren't anticipated until the second quarter in 2015. Broadwell will provide slightly more power and a bit better battery life.

3. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

I used KIES without issue when I used to own the S2.

I have an external Sumsung SE-506 USB Blu-ray drive and use MacGo Blu ray player. Both work really well together.

There should be no upgrades to the MBP line this year, the current thinking on the forum is that March/April next year will be the earliest for any possible updates. I purchased a new Retina MBP last week, after my old MBP died, as I do not think there will be any updates soon.

4. dose13 thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for the answers guys. Lets hope the transition to Mac OS after 20 years with Windows will go without problems