Questions before upgrading to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XheartcoreboyX, Nov 12, 2009.

1. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

I have just got the DVD, currently on Leopard and I have been having a lot of crashes, for a reason, but well, i try a lot of applications everyday, so some of them could have cause those issues.

I installed snow leopard before (illegally) at 10.6.1 and it was really bad, but i am hoping to having things work out better now.

I have some questions:

- What do you recommend that i do before installing SnowLeo?

- I will be doing an erase and install, better do in the OS or before the bootup?

- Is it OK to install Windows 7 with bootcamp? without trouble? (i need it to run Autocad for college work, so it's essential)

- Anything that snow leopard is sensitive to? what is known to cause problems, i can live without that thing, i just need the stability again.

Thank you and sorry if some of these have been answered, I tried to search.

2. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

it depends what applications you are talking about, 32-bit kexts only operate with 32-bit kernel, many safari plugins don't play nice, so again you must force safari in 32-bit mode.

what applications are you testing? avoid hacks that requires admin permissions and it should stay pretty stable.

you're fine to erase from the installer, as long as you've made a backup, of course.

3. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

So, does safariStand work? that's the only plugin that i use.

I test apps from the Apple site and iUsethis everyday, just to test out something new that could be useful for me and users on a site that i moderate in.

Could i depend on snowchecker app for that matter?

Is it a good idea to make a second user on my Mac specially to test things out? like apps that i am not sure about their compatibility.

4. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

according to their site, safaristand works. and snowchecker will be your best bet.

i don't think having a second user would be much help. it depends what you mean by stability issues, but i am guessing that you are using apps that modify system files rather than user files.

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Yes it does in 32-bit mode.

Tbh, on a laptop running Safari in 64 bit mode isn't even an option.
    Flash on 64 bit safari kills batterylife!

I noticed it myself a awhile ago then i saw this on anandtech:

13-inch MBP Battery Life Flash Web Browsing:
    64-bit Safari 222 minutes
    32-bit Safari 323 minutes
    Improvement 45.5%

There is something fishy going on with the 64-bit mode in Safari atm,
    so I'm gonna run 32-bit until its sorted.

6. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

Thanks guys, installing snowleo for the second time, hopefully the last time ATM.

Please, Apple, make me happy again :apple:

:rolleyes:

7. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

So I just got it done, installed snowleo, all the updated, installed compatible apps with snowchecker and moved my data, currently installing windows 7 through fusion, everything runs so smooth :D

Now i have a simple question:

Does changing the icons of the apps, folders and apps create any stress or failure possibility at all?

Does changing themes for some applications (by replacing images in the resources folders) cause troubles to the system?

I look at all this in the way that it's just a replacement for some images and there is no reason for all that to cause stress or trouble, but just making sure if i am missing a thing.

8. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I'm running my MBP in 64-bit mode & there is no Flash tax. In another thread I showed a screenshot of iStat Pro running the same youtube video on Leopard... & then on SL 64-bit. I'll see if I can still find it.

Edit: The thread I was referring to is here. It shows my CPU usage with a youtube vid running on Leopard (13%). On SL 64-bit it is higher, but nothing too dramatic: 18% CPU.

9. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX