Questions bout reformatting.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vong, Dec 5, 2010.

1. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

i am going to reformat my macbook pro 13" probably next week. and i have a few questions:

1) how do you reformat it lol.

2) i am going to back up my macbook pro via time machine before i reformat. and restore my macbook pro via time machine. (this is a 2 part question i guess)
    a) will everything be the way it is? IE my dock icons, bowtie and etc will be the same..?​
    b) if i have a virus/malware on my macbook pro, and i backed it up. reformatted, then used my back up to restore my macbook pro, will i still have that virus/malware?​

thanks, if something does not make sense let me know haha. tried to word it the best way i can

2. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

1. Boot from the install disk and use disk utility to erase the hard drive.
    2a. Yes. With a few minor exceptions because Time Machine doesn't back up every single file. A few logs might be missing, but they generally don't affect anything.
    2b. Yes.

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Why are you reformatting it, if the machine is running OK there simply is no reason to.

However if you insist read your manual, you may even learn something. If you don't want to learn anything then pop in the Install Disc that came with the computer, Utilities, Disk Utilities, highlight the disk, click Erase, make sure it's set to MS OS Extended (Journaled), Erase. Then exit Disk Utility and let it complete the Install. At the end it will prompt you to restore from TM.

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Ya think? Thanks for the insight.

The OP suspects he has malware. Regardless, I doubt he wants to reformat it just for grins.

6. vong, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010

vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

damn, seems like reformatting and backing up via time machine would defeat the purpose of reformatting lol

i dont got any malware haha, but when i am watching 1080p anime (blu ray releases). it seems to lag a BIT. i thought the mbp would be able to watch 1920 x 1080. i figured malware or virus might be slowing down my macbook

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

He's probably wrong.