Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

girgentiam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I've been a Dell user basically my whole computer using life. I've decided that it's (finally) time to make the switch from the hunk of plastic-like garbage to a MacBook Pro. Although I am looking forward to having this nice computer, there are some things that I have become used to with my Windows run computer that I have some questions about. I plan on using the Mac OS, but there are some programs/applications that I have questions about.

Google Chrome: Most importantly how does it run on a Mac? Is it fully functional yet? One of the concerns I have is Bookmark Sync; I have an exorbitant amount of bookmarks saved to my current Chrome for my PC. Any insight to this would be extremely helpful.

Trillian: I've heard only amazing things about iChat and Addium for Macs, but I have grown a tad attached to Trillian. Is it worth it to try Trillian for Mac? I've only heard bad things about the Mac version, from horrible notification noises to missing features.

uTorrent: Does this function on Mac? Can it download software, like Aperture, Logic, or Final Cut, for example, that will be fully functional on a Mac?

Any answers to any of these questions would really, really help. Thank you so much!

EstrlM3

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
uTorrent: Does this function on Mac? Can it download software, like Aperture, Logic, or Final Cut, for example, that will be fully functional on a Mac?

Not allowed to discuss on these forums but just pop a search into bing.com and you'll find some good stuff.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Google chrome runs fine on my 4 year old macbook. I've never tried bookmark syncing though.

I think i remember trying Trillian, and instantly deleting it because it was balls. Adium is great, though.

on this, read forum rules;

3. Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

girgentiam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2010
What about the two other programs? And I apologize for the other post... as you can see I am new to these forums. It won't happen again.

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
I've been a Dell user basically my whole computer using life. I've decided that it's (finally) time to make the switch from the hunk of plastic-like garbage to a MacBook Pro. Although I am looking forward to having this nice computer, there are some things that I have become used to with my Windows run computer that I have some questions about. I plan on using the Mac OS, but there are some programs/applications that I have questions about.

Google Chrome: Most importantly how does it run on a Mac? Is it fully functional yet? One of the concerns I have is Bookmark Sync; I have an exorbitant amount of bookmarks saved to my current Chrome for my PC. Any insight to this would be extremely helpful.

Trillian: I've heard only amazing things about iChat and Addium for Macs, but I have grown a tad attached to Trillian. Is it worth it to try Trillian for Mac? I've only heard bad things about the Mac version, from horrible notification noises to missing features.

Any answers to any of these questions would really, really help. Thank you so much!

I used iChat for about a year and it did have some hiccups for other clients to see me. I decided to use Skype. That program is awesome! Very easy to use and it works well with Mac and PC. I have family in Hawaii and Phoenix and we all use it. Give it a shot after you try iChat. You’ll see what I’m talking about.

girgentiam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2010

SonicBoom1981

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
I use:

Adium for MSN
iChat for AIM (for the cam)
Skype (for the cam)

Adium is so customisable, and just looks so much better than the standard crappy MSN application on Windows.

Adium can support text chat in loads of different ways, such as MSN, AIM, Yahoo, ICQ etc.

It can do MSN cam too in form of mebeam plugin, although that uses a web link to a web page that both users need to click to start cam.

diablo2112

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
ALSO NO ONE HAS ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS ABOUT CHROME!

You don't have to shout. It took me 8 seconds to run a search in Google with the terms "Chrome Bookmark Sync Mac" and I got a dozen pages that discusses this issue specifically on the Mac. Here's one.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/1...nds-on-chromium-for-mac-heres-how-to-make-it/

I understand wanting to get some first-hand discussion from someone that my be knowledgeable of your issue, but if no-one replies, there's no need to get pushy and start shouting. At that point, just search.

LedCop

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
That is an pretty cool feature. But other than aesthetically, what are some reasons to pick it over iChat. I'd rather hit the ground running with an application than having to try them all out. What are some pos/neg's of Adium and iChat?

ALSO NO ONE HAS ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS ABOUT CHROME!

Bookmark sync works perfectly well as far as I can tell from personal use on my Macs and PCs.

girgentiam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2010
You don't have to shout. It took me 8 seconds to run a search in Google with the terms "Chrome Bookmark Sync Mac" and I got a dozen pages that discusses this issue specifically on the Mac. Here's one.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/1...nds-on-chromium-for-mac-heres-how-to-make-it/

I understand wanting to get some first-hand discussion from someone that my be knowledgeable of your issue, but if no-one replies, there's no need to get pushy and start shouting. At that point, just search.

It wasn't necessarily a shout. More of a reintroduction of the question in a way it would be more noticeable seeing as others hadn't answered yet. Websites are great, but sometimes they tend to have their own agenda. I'd rather have the macrumors users' opinions in addition to these other pages rather than letting it stand on its own.

LedCop

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
It wasn't necessarily a shout. More of a reintroduction of the question in a way it would be more noticeable seeing as others hadn't answered yet. Websites are great, but sometimes they tend to have their own agenda. I'd rather have the macrumors users' opinions in addition to these other pages rather than letting it stand on its own.

Sentences in all-caps are generally considered to be shouting, especially when there is an exclamation mark at the end. If you wrote it in bold instead, you'd achieve your objective better and be less likely to be accused of shouting. Just letting you know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.