Questions concerning refurbished MacBooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GrimmPenguin, May 8, 2008.

1. GrimmPenguin macrumors regular

I am considering purchasing a refurbished MacBook from Apple's online store. However I have a few questions concerning whether or not I should go through with this or just buy a new one.

1) What's the difference between a new and a refurbished model, besides the obvious? Are the laptops used? Do they have any signs of wear on them?

2) Can you get an educational discount on the refurbished MacBooks? My mom is a teacher, and if this is possible, I will probably have her purchase it for me.

3) I know that the website says that the MacBooks come with all the accessories that the new ones come with, but is this 100% guaranteed? I definately want to the have the repair disks and the manuals.

4) I've heard that the refurbished models come in a brown box instead of a MacBook box. Is this box just a box filled with packaging peanuts and there's your laptop when you open it up, or is the laptop secure in Styrofoam frames, plastic wrapping, and what?

I would love any feedback on my questions! Thanks for your input.

Also, please don't tell me to wait off until June or whatever because of some things you are hearing from the rumor mills.

2. dizzlemizzle macrumors member

there are no signs of wear on them...they're basically a new macbook
    you cannot use an education discount on them...you can but they're the same price so its not really a discount
    i'm sure you'll get the necessary backup discs and everything
    the packaging will be the same just not have a macbook on the front of the box...it won't just show up in a box

you have nothing to worry about...apple sells thousands of refurbished products a day and they're just as good as new

3. CBA macrumors newbie

I just got one and can fully agree.
    It looks brand new, I couldn't find a scratch.
    I was packed with the backup discs, instructions, and necessary wires and chargers in a secure box (the laptop covered in a feltlike envelope and held in place by sturdy foam piece) only the box was brown.

4. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

1. The refurbished models look exactly the same as the new models, save for a brown cardboard box and the packaging. From what the Apple website says, the units are returned or demo units that have any failed parts replaced, and thoroughly tested, and cleaned up for sale. My refurbished MacBook looked like brand new out of the box.

2. Apple does not offer educational discounts on refurb products.

3. Both of the computers in my signature were refurbished, and both came with everything listed on the Apple site. This included System Disks, Apple Remote, manuals, and power cords and adapters.

4. My MacBook came in the box held by a styrofoam frame and the MacBook was covered in a white cloth like material for extra care. No packing peanuts used here, and everything was very neatly placed.

Hope this answers some of your questions! :)

5. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys for the input. I'm still torn between buying a new one and a refurbished. It all depends on how much more money I get between now and the end of the month.

I'm looking at the 2.2GHz model that was released in November '07 that's on the site for $999. As far as I can tell there's only a few minute differences like processing power and L2 cache. As far as RAM capacity and whatnot goes they are the same. There isn't that much of difference in the Santa Rosa/Merom and the Santa Rosa/Penryn is there? I would wait it out for the Montevina/Penryn, but I dunno. I just wanted to get some info on the refurbished if I decided to go that route.

Thanks for all the information!

6. dino0829 macrumors member

Seeing is believing

Hey, if you'd rather not just read about, do a search for MacBook refurb on YouTube. You'll see plenty of videos of unboxing. Or check this link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhRjiIi8Ujo&fmt=18

I'm thinking about buying one, as well. Might wait until the new MBs come out, and get the 2.4 Penryn on closeout.

7. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

My experience was the same and I would do it again!--))) ;)

8. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

The refurbished MacBook I bought for my daughter came with an upgraded hard drive, and additional RAM at no charge! :D

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

To clarify a misconception here -- a flawless, looks-like-new machine is not a guarantee. Minor cosmetic issues such as hairline scratches are permissible. In fact, I've purchased a number of refurbished machines and some of them have had minor cosmetic issues. My current MBP for example has a minor scuff below the trackpad button.

More severe issues such as dents and deep scratches will not be a problem.

10. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I just compare the refurb prices with Amazon new prices (no tax), while both have free shipping.

Refurb 2.4 Blackbook $1299 plus tax= $1406 (based on 8.25% tax rate)
    New 2.4 Blackbook Amazon $1399 after rebate

Refurb 2.4 White Macbook $1099 plus tax= $1190
    New 2.4 White Macbook Amazon $1224

If you aren't concered with having the latest model, then the most attractive "deal" on a refurb are the ocassoinal 2.2 Blackbooks that show up from time to time. $1049 plus tax = $1135 (and that is a $264 savings over a new model... not bad.) (but you're getting a smaller HD and half the ram)

A 2.2 White refurb is 999 plus tax= $1082. (so for $108 more, you get a bigger HD and twice the ram) Not a great deal if you ask me. For 108 more, get the newer model refurb.

It seems to me that the best "bang for the buck" value of the current offerings is the 2.4 Whitebook. $208 cheaper and all you lose is the black color and 90gb of disk storage. Everything else is the same. I think this is hte model I'm going to get. My son, however, wants a black one. So, I'll get him a refurb 2.2 model next time one pops up. I really wish he'd get the 2.4 white, but it's his choice.

11. johnsy macrumors 6502

What do you mean upgraded HD and additional RAM? It came with more than advertised?

12. johnsy macrumors 6502

Prices:
    Amazon.com
    15" 2.2 2GB 120Gb MBP- $1699 - $150 rebate. So $1549 no tax.
    the same refurbished Apple store- $1449 +tax so for me it is $1529 total.
    Macmall.com closeout (the same model)- $1499 + tax total for me- $1582

EDIT. I ALMOST MISSED MACMALL'S $150 REBATE! SO PRICE GOES DOWN TO $1432

Now tell me what is the best deal. And should you go for refurbished to save $20- $53? It is a savings of <$470 of original price, that is for sure.

so the best deal is to buy older model. With (possible) case redesign prices might go down even more. The question is it worth it? So you should always consider that before buying older model. You will always pay more for new, bleeding edge stuff.

13. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Depending on what the original purchaser bought, apple cleans/fixes it and sends it out just like they got it. In other words if someone ordered their Mac with 2 gig of Ram then thats what you get even though Apple may state the minimum Ram of 1 Gig. Same with the HD.
    I was one of the lucky ones that ended up with 2 gig of Ram even though the advertised refurb stated 1 gig of Ram.
    Some have been even luckier and received more Ram and a larger HD. Hope that explains it. ;)

14. Subhumanguy macrumors member

Subhumanguy

I was about to purchase the 2.2GHZ refurb from Apple's site... then I visited newegg. I bought a brand new 2.2 GHZ Macbook (superdrive, etc) for $1,094with no shipping or tax. I think the refurb model would have been around $1,060 with tax... so I ended up spending a couple of dollars more, but I got a new system. :D

15. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I recently bought a refurb black Macbook 2.2 from the Apple Store. It is just like new- 100% happy with it. I actually prefer Apple refurbs to buying new, since they usually get more inspection than a new one. I wish I had bought a refurb iPod touch instead of a new one, since the iPod is now on its way back to Apple for a screen defect.