Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XxCH3AT3RxX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Okay I am planning on getting a MBP next year when I am a Junior in highschool. I will have to pay for it since I do not feel like waiting until I graduate for my parents to buy it. What I was planning on getting was:

- 15" 2.6GHz(Is it even worth it to step up from 2.4 to 2.6 for $250?)
- 250GB HDD @ 5400RPM
- 2GB Ram(4GB is insanely priced high)
- Glossy

I was just curious if this is a good computer setup, I will be using it for Programming using Xcode, and just music software like Frooty Loops and probably some graphic designing and probably doing bootcamp for games(NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM). But what I really want to know is between now and this time next year do you guys think that a new model or new features will be released? And if I get this MBP this time next year do you guys think it would last through college since I am going to college for a bachelors in Computer Science and will need this laptop all 4 years. I am not made of money so it will have to last me a long time and I think stepping up to 2.6GHz might be good for future games and software.

macanudo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Okay I am planning on getting a MBP next year when I am a Junior in highschool. I will have to pay for it since I do not feel like waiting until I graduate for my parents to buy it. What I was planning on getting was:

- 250GB HDD @ 5400RPM
- Glossy

I was just curious if this is a good computer setup, I will be using it for Programming using Xcode, and just music software like Frooty Loops and probably some graphic designing and probably doing bootcamp for games(NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM). But what I really want to know is between now and this time next year do you guys think that a new model or new features will be released? And if I get this MBP this time next year do you guys think it would last through college since I am going to college for a bachelors in Computer Science and will need this laptop all 4 years. I am not made of money so it will have to last me a long time and I think stepping up to 2.6GHz might be good for future games and software.

Looks like a good setup to me, just have a few comments. If you are looking to keep the MBP for a while, invest in the faster CPU. Also invest in the highest capacity/highest RPM drive that you can afford since the MBP's internal HD is hard to get to unlike the macbooks. RAM is always something that you can get later, but if you need more than 2GB now, get it from another vendor like OWC. But 2GB should be plenty to work with to start. I personally don't like the glossy screens too much, but that is a personal preference.

Good luck, enjoy your new toy, let me know how it goes.

XxCH3AT3RxX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Yeah I was planning on getting 4GB Ram later down the road. Why don't you like glossy screens? I heard it is a better picture, but has glare outside which i wont be outside. But I also heard 7200RPM is louder and hoter and takes me battery so that is why I was thinking 5400RPM.

msevild

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Schaumburg
Excellent set-up choices you have their. And by this time next year, a newer faster model should hopefully be out. But if you do want it to last all four years then I would recommend a few tips for you.
1) The faster processor the better
2) Applecare(guarantees your computer to last for 3 total years under normal wear and tear). You have to protect your investment!!!
3) When you get into your college years you should look into ProCare if you have the money. It is only $100 a year and it will insure that if your computer needs repairs, you won't have to sit in long lines at a local Apple Store 'Genius Bar'. Just flash the ProCare card and you are pretty much the next person who gets help. This also provides faster repair times should your computer need 'surgery'.
4) If you need extra RAM down the road, purchase from 3rd party vendors. It is so much cheaper.
5) For graphic design work a Matte display would be the preference. Matte displays give you a truer color base going from screen to print. So if you want your work to match closer to what the colors truly are, then go with Matte.
6) Hard-drive would be best at lower RPM for the reasons you mentioned. Could always use an external Firewire800 drive later if need be ^_^.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

- 250GB HDD @ 5400RPM
- Glossy

Good start.

Plain and simple:
(1) Get the faster processor, Apple may put the 2.6 into the midrange and 17" MBP by next year so don't worry about price for right now.

(2) Buy the RAM 3rd party if you need it, although 2GB is a good start.
(3) DON"T GET THE 5400 rpm option. If you can get the 7200 rpm option then get it. 5400 rpm will eat into your performance and an external drive will not solve the problem.

Everything moves faster with 7200 rpm drives and battery life will suffer only a small bit. Besides... battery life isn't that great with the MBP to begin with. Trust me.... get the faster internal drive so you don't have to worry about carrying an external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.